New Home: Gardening Tips

minustheagent

Jodie Kelly
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I recently bought a new home & want to do gardening in front of the home entrance. Please share some lawn Gardening ideas.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a whole section on lawns, if that is what you mean, but I am not sure you do. If you are looking to plant do you have a bed for bedding plants? Is this a new new house with builder's rubble and sub soil turned up, or is it just new to you. What is the aspect? Does the place you want to grow things get good sunshine? It is better to start by thinking what is possible, rather than saying "I want roses" (for example) and then discovering it is unsuitable and you would have a huge job making it suitable. Look at the position and the soil and find out what things might do well, then choose from them. There is something to suit almost any location and conditions.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you should research first and then select the plants and make a layout.
Here is a good resource to help you out. They have a huge collection of plants with tips and tricks.

Houseplants​

Bromeliad​

Succulents and Cacti​

I am also giving you the Channel link, Please subscribe if you find it useful and also share it with your friends.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My suggestion won't be to everyone's taste, but we love it and it was very easy.

We have a fairly large, flat front lawn. We're in one of those newish streets where the gardens are all open plan.

Last May, my husband created 5 small raised beds out of timber - they're only about 4 inches high. Two large L-Shaped beds at the front, enclosing 4 4x4 beds. We put paper and cardboard on top of the grass and then around 4 inches of compost on top of that. At the start of June we planted it up with summer bedding and a few perennials.
This is how it looked by early July (so just two months after we started the project). You may notice we snuck a few beets, cabbages, potatoes and leeks among the flowers - they're hard to spot, but I think they look great :

ERM_7779 by Paul Roberts, on Flickr

ERM_7798 by Paul Roberts, on Flickr

ERM_7773 by Paul Roberts, on Flickr

We haven't taken photos this year (yet - I'll get some), but it's come on in leaps and bounds. We like a cottage garden look - so it's jam packed full of flower and veg of all heights, colours and shapes. We've got black eyed susan, cone flowers, blanket flowers, calendular, marigolds, sweet peas, nasturtiums, cosmos, borage, dwarf sunflowers, lupins, corn flowers, various alpines and carnations, poppies, globe artichoke, potatoes, cabbage, dwarf beans, leeks, onions, beets, climbing courgette. You don't really notice the veg - it's just a mass of colour.

It's been EXTREMELY easy. This was my first gardening project and I really didn't have a clue - I just stuck things in the ground and nature did the rest. A bit of dead heading and weeding, and a layer of compost spread on all the beds over winter kept it looking neat. (I also popped in some winter pansies and wall flowers).

I've been in this house 14 years and always wanted to do something about the front garden, but it's solid clay and I'm not up to digging. This was trivial. I did it all myself apart from the wooden frames to the raised beds, and I'm not really very fit or able bodied.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My suggestion won't be to everyone's taste, but we love it and it was very easy.

We have a fairly large, flat front lawn. We're in one of those newish streets where the gardens are all open plan.

Last May, my husband created 5 small raised beds out of timber - they're only about 4 inches high. Two large L-Shaped beds at the front, enclosing 4 4x4 beds. We put paper and cardboard on top of the grass and then around 4 inches of compost on top of that. At the start of June we planted it up with summer bedding and a few perennials.
This is how it looked by early July (so just two months after we started the project). You may notice we snuck a few beets, cabbages, potatoes and leeks among the flowers - they're hard to spot, but I think they look great :

ERM_7779 by Paul Roberts, on Flickr

ERM_7798 by Paul Roberts, on Flickr

ERM_7773 by Paul Roberts, on Flickr

We haven't taken photos this year (yet - I'll get some), but it's come on in leaps and bounds. We like a cottage garden look - so it's jam packed full of flower and veg of all heights, colours and shapes. We've got black eyed susan, cone flowers, blanket flowers, calendular, marigolds, sweet peas, nasturtiums, cosmos, borage, dwarf sunflowers, lupins, corn flowers, various alpines and carnations, poppies, globe artichoke, potatoes, cabbage, dwarf beans, leeks, onions, beets, climbing courgette. You don't really notice the veg - it's just a mass of colour.

It's been EXTREMELY easy. This was my first gardening project and I really didn't have a clue - I just stuck things in the ground and nature did the rest. A bit of dead heading and weeding, and a layer of compost spread on all the beds over winter kept it looking neat. (I also popped in some winter pansies and wall flowers).

I've been in this house 14 years and always wanted to do something about the front garden, but it's solid clay and I'm not up to digging. This was trivial. I did it all myself apart from the wooden frames to the raised beds, and I'm not really very fit or able bodied.

Lovely

minustheagent

Jodie Kelly
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I love the green lawns. So here is the final look. I know grass cutting still pending ;);)
c2efa7a8c023d815d163567f1b6f4b3e519bae06.jpg

Ask a Question