Secrets of Mound Gardening

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm interested in this up and new coming type of gardening. From what I understand it's been around for ages and very successful but not many people know about it. How many here have done it or still is Mound Gardening? I have been vegetable gardening for 30 years and the whole time it's been flat ground gardening. Raised beds is a better way than flat ground gardening and some say Mound Gardening is better than raised beds. This book contains 6 various types. Survival mounds, Native, Hugulkultur, Keyhole, Raised bed, and Compost or middle mounds. I have some indulging to do reading this book. I will touch base with what I learn and hopefully it will benefit all.

Attachments

• IMG_20220710_153254.jpg
    IMG_20220710_153254.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are 3 of us on this forum that are experimenting with containerized Hugelkulture or Mound Gardening. Meadowlark, skinyea and me. We three are all successful gardeners but we are getting up in age and are trying to find a way that is not so physically demanding as inground gardening or normal container gardening is. So far results look good. You might want to read the entire thread An experiment in Hugelkulture in containers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great, so Hugelkultur mounds is a type of gardening. It's in the book. I will have to read that section to get a better understanding and get into the soil and get some hands on experience. Thanks Chuck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Great, so Hugelkultur mounds is a type of gardening. It's in the book. I will have to read that section to get a better understanding and get into the soil and get some hands on experience. Thanks Chuck.
As far as I know Hugelkulture is just another name for Mound Gardening. Meadowlark is keeping detailed records.

Ask a Question