Light burn or over watering

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Are these pepper plants suffering from light burn or to much water. I think it is light burn and I have raised my LED lights up but I would like another opinion.

Sorry about the quality of the pictures but it was the best I could do. Hopefully they are good enough for someone to help me.
20230417_083433_compress84.jpg
20230417_083400_compress79.jpg
20230417_083329_compress44.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't think it would be light burn because the lights didn't burn the taller plants in the last picture? I've had my plants too close to my LED lights and the tops will physically turn downwards or the leaf tips will curl down to try to get away from the light but it can turn them whitish as pictured but the leaves are flat so I don't think it is the lights. If you have other types lights that put out heat then that may be a different story.

The LED lights I'm using seems to have a narrow optimal grow range. If I have plants that are smaller, I raise them up level with the taller plants so they dont get leggy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Thanks. I'm stumped with this one. I think I will put them under a different LED light that I'm using. I have 3 different brands and 3 different outputs for each. This year I'm going to replace one to make it match the two that are the same.

I have one that is more suited for growing cannabis, with a red and blue wavelength. I will see if that helps or changes anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Is it the one that looks like a floodlight bulb but is a grow LED?
I also gave them a diluted kelp fertilizer to see if that helps.

I was just getting ready to bring them out to start hardening them off and so I could use the sun to grow them out further until planting time. Which is targeted for the first week of May. Provided that I can get my new garden tilled by then. We went from a 20 X20 ft garden to a 20ft X 100ft garden.

Here's a few more pictures but I don't know if they help.

Attachments

• 20230417_130215_compress41.jpg
    20230417_130215_compress41.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230417_130212_compress46.jpg
    20230417_130212_compress46.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230417_083433_compress84.jpg
    20230417_083433_compress84.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh you got some good lights. Still likely not a lighting issue since the taller plants didnt turn white. Did you start all of those at the same time?

More likely a nutrient deficiency or overwatering or both.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Oh you got some good lights. Still likely not a lighting issue since the taller plants didnt turn white. Did you start all of those at the same time?

More likely a nutrient deficiency or overwatering or both.
I started them all at the same time. The tall plants are cotton. I'm hoping the fertilizer that I gave them yesterday will help but I won't know for a few days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Looks like a nutrient deficiency to me. It's not a burn IMO
That seems to be the trending opinion and I happen to think you are right.

I will let you know in a few days how my fertilizer worked. I went with a very low npk kelp fertilizer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That seems to be the trending opinion and I happen to think you are right.

I will let you know in a few days how my fertilizer worked. I went with a very low npk kelp fertilizer.
When using organic fertilizers NPK numbers really don't mean much because of the high cation exchange capacity of organic fertilizers. What this means is that virtually all of the fertilizer is actually used by the plant because the fertilizer molecules have adhered to the soil molecules. The opposite is true of synthetic fertilizers. That is why synthetic fertilizers are easily leached away and end up in waterways. It takes more synthetics to have the same effect than it does organics. And why it is very difficult to have fertilizer burn with organics.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
When using organic fertilizers NPK numbers really don't mean much because of the high cation exchange capacity of organic fertilizers. What this means is that virtually all of the fertilizer is actually used by the plant because the fertilizer molecules have adhered to the soil molecules. The opposite is true of synthetic fertilizers. That is why synthetic fertilizers are easily leached away and end up in waterways. It takes more synthetics to have the same effect than it does organics. And why it is very difficult to have fertilizer burn with organics.
Yes you are right. I was just trying to give you an idea of what I was using.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
What do you think about foliar feeding. I was listening to Dr Linda Chalker Scott and she said that the science doesn't support foliar feeding as an effective way to fertilize plants. In fact she said it was a waste of money.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What do you think about foliar feeding. I was listening to Dr Linda Chalker Scott and she said that the science doesn't support foliar feeding as an effective way to fertilize plants. In fact she said it was a waste of money.
I agree. It feels like a waste of time and money. A good organic feed for the roots to take up does the job just fine

Ask a Question