Baking soda to ward off early blight

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm going to try using a baking soda solution to ward off early blight. When is the best time of day to spray and, at what point in the growth cycle should I apply it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm going to try using a baking soda solution to ward off early blight. When is the best time of day to spray and, at what point in the growth cycle should I apply it?
I spray in the AM when the dew (if any) is still present. I start spraying when the ambient high temperatures are consistently above 80F. About all you can hope for is to get a complete harvest. I have never seen any cure be it organic or chemical. I have not found baking soda to be as effective at warding off EB as Neem Oil but it does work. Also, keeping horticultural cornmeal spread around the base of the plant is of significant benefit too. I also make a tea out of the cornmeal and spray it on everything. One of the best things you can do to slow EB is to prune off the lower limbs so water cannot splash up onto the plant. Also put a good layer of mulch around the base of the plant.

Ask a Question