Enough sunlight for a garden

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there! I’m new to the forum. I’m planning on setting up a vegetable garden (tomatoes, cucumbers, etc) in my backyard, but I’m not sure if I’m getting enough sunlight with a tree casting a shadow for most of the day.

Here’s timelapse footage from 7am to 6pm that shows how much light I’m getting here (on the dead patch of grass): https://www.dropbox.com/s/fiivz7duy6yjvwv/backyard garden area.mov?dl=0

Is the light poking through the tree branches enough or is there too much shade to grow any vegetables I want to? thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IMO you can grow the vegetable plants but your fruit production will be very low. I would grow vegs on that green area in the background. An absolute minimum of 6 hours of direct sunlight is needed for much production at all. I couldn't tell how many hours you receive from the video.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The video is total of 11hrs (7am to 6pm) and every 12 seconds equals an hour in real time. Yeah that green patch is the backup plan because it gets so much direct sunlight, but its a longer walk down.

Ask a Question