Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
lets get hands dirty,

real problem of keeping aquarium, "cleaning the glass"

aq3333333 (1).jpg aq3333333 (2).jpg

tried to scrub the stain off the glass

How do you keep your aquarium glasses clean?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Ok, brought this two babies, it might be Shubunkins, they were in goldfish tank. I have not put the filter and heater back yet. I have some ivy, mosses balls and duckweed to stabilize the water for now.

3333.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hello Rajesh,
I have that problem of build up on one corner of my glass canopy. It's where the bubbles come up from the air stone. It does come off with scrubbing and it wouldn't be such a problem for me if I gave the canopy a good scrub every week when I do a water change. I just use a scrub pad that won't scratch the glass and I keep at it untill all the build up has come off. Well to be honest sometimes I don't do a very good job, I quickly lose interest in scrubbing.

I think your gold fish will eat up your duckweed, that's what I heard people say anyways.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Hello Rajesh,
I have that problem of build up on one corner of my glass canopy. It's where the bubbles come up from the air stone. It does come off with scrubbing and it wouldn't be such a problem for me if I gave the canopy a good scrub every week when I do a water change. I just use a scrub pad that won't scratch the glass and I keep at it untill all the build up has come off. Well to be honest sometimes I don't do a very good job, I quickly lose interest in scrubbing.

I think your gold fish will eat up your duckweed, that's what I heard people say anyways.

You are right, I will try to put the air stone under the white tunnel structure so that it does not bubble on the sides , and attached an screw valve to control the air this time, the filter had an air pipe too, I will just take that out for now to make it run on water only.

I used to feed pellet only, and keep them without plants they dies on me previously. So, this time trying a different approach of filling more and more plants first.

They just nip on the mosses, they don't care for duckweed I will try to grow some in separate tank and give them as treat if they like it.

We have to wait to know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Bought few ramshorn snails.

How do you keep them in water, they are crawling out through the roof holes.:mad:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Air pump.jpg

Cheap air pump was not working, due to lose contact. Soldered and poured some hot glue to reduce the vibration.

Now, its good as brand new.

after air pump.jpg

placed air stone under the tunnel structure, so that bubble don't touch the glass.

Can anyone I identify this plant?
left bottom corner is bacopa monnieri, what about other plant?
unknown (1).jpg unknown (2).jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Today, I was cleaning the molly tank. Bad news- two of my white mollies were found dead along with one under developed grey molly fry.:cry:

Good news- they left behind 25 mixed color fries, I hope all of them survive.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Rajesh Sethi Do you need a heater in India? I thought it's warm enough as it is! That's the trouble of keeping fish .. I used to have a 3' tank, but it was a lot of hard work cleaning the tank and I scratched the glass using one of those pads with magnetic strips. Now the tank is used to house my streptocarpus and they are quite happy in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
All snails are dead, bought plecostomus fish to do the cleaning job.

Hope it doesn't bother my other fishes.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How many snails, Rajesh? :unsure: If there are more than the plecostomus can eat quickly, remove some - they might contaminate the water.

I have seen my plecostomus eating dead fish, if a guppy dies, :oops: I usually leave it.

The mollies and platies are too big - I don't want them to rot in there!! :eek:

Sorry about your snails. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
All,three of the snails were floating and looks as if they were melting.

I heard that plecosto can clean the glass but at the store they had all big ones, I bought one tiny black, but when I came home it seems bit larger than goldfish. I hope gold fishes out grow it quickly else they might become dinner for fast growing plecosto(they can become as large as 50 cm):eek:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They mainly eat algae and vegetation. I was told at a pet store that any fish will eat any fish that it can fit in its mouth. But, these people are not usually highly trained, so I have my doubts. :unsure:

My plecos like to be given cucumbers and various squashes. :)

Cucumber-

0227172314pleco.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
@Rajesh Sethi I scratched the glass using one of those pads with magnetic strips.

oops, once glass is scratched it will facilitate more mineral to deposit.
My plecos like to be given cucumbers and various squashes. :)

Thanks, its working like wonder. I will give it once in two or three days, even goldfish like to nip on boiled cucumber slice.

333333333.jpg

Sorry, glass still looks hazy, but its cleaner than it was few days back.

Ask a Question