Let's talk tropical fish and aquariums!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You better start to keep same kind of fish together.

My white mollies recently gave birth to 10 fries, two bicolor, one white, one black and others grey.

I found a lily bud about size of pea.

But leaves are starting to rot, don't know what's happening?

View attachment 27656
Left red circle shows leaf rotting, right one shows a flower bud, I guess!

Lovely about the 10 fries:D, not so lovely but the rotting leaves:eek:!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm running 3 tanks right now, I have a 20 gal. long filled with guppies and albino catfish. 20 gal high with Long fin Serpae tetra's , Gourimies, albino catfish green catfish, 10gal with a rainbow albino shark 2 green catfish. and a Beta, working on setting up 30 gal tank for south American dwarf cichlid.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello MaryMary,
I keep two tanks, a 30 and a 15. In the 30 I keep 6 long fin black widows, 2 platies, 4 bronze cory catfish, and 3 mystery snails. In the 15 I keep 10 little white cloud mountain minnows and more mystery snails. Also trumpet snails have appeared in the tanks, don't know what they came in on. I keep low light plants and feed them weekly, especially making sure the sword plants get root tabs and extra iron added to water. The fish food I use is flake, crisp, ground up new spectrum life pellets with ground up shrimp pellets, and frozen shrimp and blood worms. The mystery snails get extra veggies and I have cuttle bones and tums tablets for their healthy shells. And both tanks get water changes about every 4 or 5 days with prime used to condition fresh water.

View attachment 27550 View attachment 27555 View attachment 27557 View attachment 27558
Do I see a bio filter pad on your intake tube ? I run bio filters in all my tanks it helps keep the tanks cleaner and helps the keep the p h at the right level

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hello Fernsdaddy,

Yes you do see that. I put that on the intake tube because the white clouds were so tiny when I got them, and I have had one of their eggs hatch and survive. I'm guessing the mystery snails are eating all the minnow eggs. That's fine because I don't have the room for more fish. The beneficial bacteria does quickly develop on that filter pad on the tube. I've had the minnows for two yrs now and have replaced the bio pad three times. I usually just rinse it and squeeze it out in the dirty fish water when I do water changes.

Your serape tetras, I've always liked the look of them but have never bought any because I've read that they are known for fin nipping and fighting. Is that your experience with them?

Actually I read that about the black widows after I bought them. They haven't been bad, they do each guard their own little territories but will school together when I am working in the tank.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello Fernsdaddy,

Yes you do see that. I put that on the intake tube because the white clouds were so tiny when I got them, and I have had one of their eggs hatch and survive. I'm guessing the mystery snails are eating all the minnow eggs. That's fine because I don't have the room for more fish. The beneficial bacteria does quickly develop on that filter pad on the tube. I've had the minnows for two yrs now and have replaced the bio pad three times. I usually just rinse it and squeeze it out in the dirty fish water when I do water changes.

Your serape tetras, I've always liked the look of them but have never bought any because I've read that they are known for fin nipping and fighting. Is that your experience with them?

Actually I read that about the black widows after I bought them. They haven't been bad, they do each guard their own little territories but will school together when I am working in the tank.

The more serpae you keep in a tank the less fin nipping you have, I have 15 in the tank all I get is a little bit of chasing, The only thing I find about them is that they will chase and nip fins of fish that have long or tall fins.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I tried to take picture but I think fries are camera shy.:ROFLMAO:

Unable to cope with their speed.

black33333.jpg

w&bi color.jpg

white.jpg

Do you think fish can sense camera(I didn't even switch ON the flash)?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
India
Lovely tanks, everyone.
I just have a 16 G low light tank with java moss, cryptocoryn, vallisneria and anubias. Its filled with red cherry shrimps and assassin snails. I used to keep fish but no fish since i introduced the shrimp.
I love snails in my tank, all snails except pond snails...... i used to have a thriving MTS colony but the assassins killed them all
I am planning to start a nano betta tank soon, though......probably after diwali..... along with some apple/nerite snail and an amano shrimp maybe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here a picture of my 20 lg long tank with Serape tetras, feeding time is a bit like a bunch of Piranha feeding frenzies, most of the time their time a calm fish that need to be with fish their size or a little larger. I love the bright red color they get when you feed them fresh food. Sorry about the light from the window. this was just after feeding them.

noid peonies 003.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Here a picture of my 20 lg long tank with Serape tetras, feeding time is a bit like a bunch of Piranha feeding frenzies, most of the time their time a calm fish that need to be with fish their size or a little larger. I love the bright red color they get when you feed them fresh food. Sorry about the light from the window. this was just after feeding them.

View attachment 27955

Are you sure you haven't been starving them for too long!?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They get 3 feedings every day. Serapes will eat like they never get enough food. under feeding will cause them to lose their bright colors.

Ask a Question