Plants really do know how to talk

Reaction score
I read online, just recently, that plants are able to communicate with each other. They transmit signals not above ground, but underground by way of their roots. Is that fascinating or what?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
That's really interesting. I wonder if they talk casually to each other like humans do. :D They probably don't though huh. I'd imagine it'd be more like "This is my water. It's mine. My water. HEY. Back off. I saw it first." :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
Well with that being said maybe I ought to move my poinsettias closer to one another because they are losing their leaves every day. Can I get a little help here? What am I doing or not doing? I water them every two days, is that too much? They are getting light but not natural light. Help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's a scary idea. I hope it's not true! I don't want to feel guilty for eating carrots and other yummy vegetables and fruits:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
Well with that being said maybe I ought to move my poinsettias closer to one another because they are losing their leaves every day. Can I get a little help here? What am I doing or not doing? I water them every two days, is that too much? They are getting light but not natural light. Help!
How long have you had them? Poinsettias don't last very long. Ours usually last a few months. The pink ones seem to last the longest. Our oldest one lasted about a year. In general, they just don't last very long
Also they seem to prefer indirect light. The ones in our northwest facing window last the longest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
I had them before Thanksgiving. They are not in direct sunlight as my windows are up high maybe four or feet from the floor. Every day I see more leaves that have dropped from the stems. They are beginning to look quite shallow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
How long have you had them? Poinsettias don't last very long. Ours usually last a few months. The pink ones seem to last the longest. Our oldest one lasted about a year. In general, they just don't last very long
Also they seem to prefer indirect light. The ones in our northwest facing window last the longest.

In the right conditions Poinsettias can survive a long time. I bought one which I was trying to train into a bonsai and it survived in my greenhouse for several years before I decided that it just wasn't good bonsai material and gave it away. After the first few weeks it only had green leaves, however, and I don't think I ever got it to flower again.

I had them before Thanksgiving. They are not in direct sunlight as my windows are up high maybe four or feet from the floor. Every day I see more leaves that have dropped from the stems. They are beginning to look quite shallow.

I don't know too much about the conditions Poinsettias require as I never treated mine very well, but it survived my abuse for several years. It may be a case of yours not getting enough light, but maybe there is an expert here who can give you better advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
I just found a link online regarding care of indoor poinsettias and I'm not doing anything wrong. I think that I'll just move them to different spots maybe they just don't like where they are.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They use fungal mycelium to pass on chemical messages about pest attacks thru their roots, bit like facebook :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Do Flags use semaphore?

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I have read about this, too, and it's undeniably amazing but not so overly amazing because they are living things and surely their species has a way of communicating on their own.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
That's really cool stuff! Anyone have any interesting articles on the subject?

I wonder if they talk directly through chemical signals or indirectly through changes to the local ecosystem (e.g. changes to the microbes and fauna in the area).

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I read online, just recently, that plants are able to communicate with each other. They transmit signals not above ground, but underground by way of their roots. Is that fascinating or what?

Wow! Never heard or read about that. That's really fascinating. I will definitely tell my mom about this. Thank you for sharing.

Ask a Question