Lets talk about hardiness zones

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Now I'm still new to this, so bear with me. I live in the beautiful Florida panhandle (Niceville, about 10 miles from the coastline...a mile or so from the bay) and am considered 8b. I have recently noticed members in areas around the world that I would not consider to be anything like our climate here that are in similar or higher zones. For example I believe we have a member here from England who is zone 9?

A look at the map and I see that parts of the northwest are also considered zone 8. Now, ive been to both England and to Washington state several times ( in fact I'm pretty well traveled, having visited; overnight at least, 48 of the states and about a dozen other countries on four continents); I can say, without question that neither of those locations weather or climate is anywhere near what ours is here in NW Florida. Not by a long shot. I'm rather surprised that these northern locations are that warm, but Ill believe the data.

Since this is based on "average extreme" temperatures (somewhat of a contradictory term), is there a different map that shows averages by month that would perhaps give the novice gardener a better understanding? or help to make a better assessment if I want to risk a certain plant? Some species of banana, for example. are cold hardy only to 40 or so. If they freeze, they will die. According to the map, zone 8b is no good. I know for a fact, however, that we spent VERY little time below 32 degrees and have not had a hard freeze (frozen ground) in a very long time. We had an ice/snow mix several years back and you would have thought it was the second coming. People had never seen such a thing here before....it just doesn't happen. So in all likelihood, these bananas would do well here and may need a little protection a few days in the winter if we have a "hard" winter.

So I guess its just more of a discussion, but why all the seeming reliance on the hardiness maps? I'm sure most here aren't so reliant on it, but it seems the industry is built around it. Wouldn't it be better if combined with another zone reference that accounts actual average temperatures rather than extremes? Say average low for the coldest month and average high for the warmest month?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
As a better illustration, weather.com show the average low temperature in my area to be in the mid 40's for jan and feb, while in the pac NW it is in the 30's. Inversely, their high is only in the 40's while ours is in the 60's. I think that illustrates the difference in actual climate. Would that not be e better determinate for what will grow well in an area? perhaps combined with the extremes.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in zone 9a :) Currently wearing a T shirt :D

It's like Florida but without the Alligators :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm in zone 9a :) Currently wearing a T shirt :D

It's like Florida but without the Alligators :)

That floors me...I've been to England (London and Mildenhall) several times and its freakin cold there in the winter! :confused: Maybe I'm just remembering your weather wrong, it has been a few years. Pretty sure you get snow though?

Yet Seattle Washington, which is also 8b has a high today of 52, while our high here is 80 o_O. Heck, I've been wearing flip flops for about 2 months now.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, we do get snow sometimes, and it can be pretty cold, but the gulf stream stops the sea icing up in the winter, except for 2010, when it diverted round the other side of greenland. The harbours froze up then and some of me pipes burst
1yikestkt.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Oranges will have already fruited in Fla.

well, shows what I know.:D I do have plenty of mini fuits on my tree, but they all look the same right now, like tiny limes. Its a cocktail tree, so Ill assume one of those braches is going to turn orange and one yellow (should be orange, lemon and lime). I guess I don't know how long they take to ripen yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The thing about the Pacific NW is that it benefits from good luck, in how ocean currents affect that area, preventing it from both not getting too hot, but more interestingly, not getting too cold. (Interesting, given their latitude). So their average temp may be well below ours in Florida, it's max cold is roughly the same. See here: https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlik...i5_why_exactly_does_the_pacific_northwest_us/

As for the usefulness of hardiness zones, there's not much I get out of them, other than max cold temp, period.
But there are still other factors to take into consideration when growing stuff. I've learned to not read too much into hardiness zones. My philosophy of life -- have low expectations :D

It's not just Seattle, it's much of the Pacific NW. This area was free of glaciers during the last ice age and that's why they have a native worm that lives in that area: http://ibis.geog.ubc.ca/biodiversity/efauna/EarthwormsofBritishColumbia.html

Excerpt:

"Until relatively recently, researchers thought that the earthworm fauna found in Canada was comprised only of alien species introduced from Europe (McKey-Fender et al. 1994). However, research has now shown that native species of earthworms are present in Canada and are species that survived glaciaton in unglaciated regufias on the west coast of the continent--on the Queen Charlotte Islands, Vancouver Island and along the northwest coast of the United States (McKey-Fender et al. 1994). Researchers have termed these native earthworms 'ancient earthworms'' (Marshall and Fender 1998). The ancient earthworms are forest-dwelling species found in forest soils (Marshall and Fender 2007)."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Speaking of hardiness zones.... I have a somewhat related question.

I have a package of dill seeds and the directions for sowing reads: "In average soil, after danger of spring frost. Sow seed indoors 6-8 weeks before outdoor planting time for earliest harvest."

However, then on the color-coded map that shows the optimum planting dates for your general region has my region for planting between September - February.

That means that the plant will most likely experience frost.

If I plant 6-8 weeks before September, that's the middle of summer... What's up:confused:

Ask a Question