Itho peony

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I have 2 Itho peonies and this is their 3rd year in the ground and the start of their 2nd full summer. However last year they didn't bloom despite growing very well.

Any ideas and or thoughts.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Itoh peonies, as well as any other peonies take about 5 years sometimes before they bloom. They will do though when they've grown a bit longer. Hopefully you haven't planted them too deeply. The shoots that new growth comes from needs to be covered but only just under the soil. As long as you have good growth otherwise, the main ingredient now is patience. They will be worth waiting for. This is a good variety, and stays compact. Not only that it will last for years. Good choice. These plants appreciate feeding well once the new growth starts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Itoh peonies, as well as any other peonies take about 5 years sometimes before they bloom. They will do though when they've grown a bit longer. Hopefully you haven't planted them too deeply. The shoots that new growth comes from needs to be covered but only just under the soil. As long as you have good growth otherwise, the main ingredient now is patience. They will be worth waiting for. This is a good variety, and stays compact. Not only that it will last for years. Good choice. These plants appreciate feeding well once the new growth starts.
Thanks. They were in 5 gallon containers when I bought them and full of blooms, so I hope this is their 5th year.

I planted them as I do other potted plants, even with the soil in the pot. I will be patient as you say.

Ask a Question