Anyone Had Any Experience of Felling a Tree Without a Chainsaw?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
SHORPY-12646u.preview.jpg

1891. "Camp Badger, Tulare County, California. End of Mark Twain log, diameter 18 feet. Slab of Giant Sequoia, Kings River Grove (now part of Kings Canyon National Park), California, felled in 1891, to be exhibited in the Natural History Museum in New York.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chainsaws became popular in the early '60s, but were invented IIRC around 1830. I was cutting trees for firewood and fence posts way before they became popular with nothing but a double bitted axe, sledgehammer and wedges. I bought my first chainsaw in the early '80s.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Unless you have used a two person crosscut saw to take down a big tree, you can't imagine how much exhausting work it is. The chain saw is arguably one of the most critical inventions of all time.

I've many times wished that I had the one that my family used homesteading in the Ozarks....but only to look at and admire never to use again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Never owned a chain saw, I have got a double ended saw about seven foot long. My missus said "No wonder she looks so knackered, I've been that woman.", well, someone has to be the other end, and they were big old apple trees we were burning in the stove.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
To be honest, actually I have - a couple of quite sizeable trees - and then I came my senses and bought a chain saw... and climbing spikes and rope... and... axes and splitting mauls.... and eventually after the last 110 footer, had a second epiphany and hired the experts. None of that BS here in the high dessert shrub steppe anymore thank goodness, so all that stuff went bye-bye along with the shredder and the lawn tractor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chainsaws became popular in the early '60s, but were invented IIRC around 1830. I was cutting trees for firewood and fence posts way before they became popular with nothing but a double bitted axe, sledgehammer and wedges. I bought my first chainsaw in the early '80s.
I remember as a kid helping my dad cut up live oak tree trunks with a cross cut saw like the one shown but it was only 7 feet long. I would guess that today sharpening one would be a lost art. Not only did he sharpen the teeth with a hand file but he also had to set the teeth of the saw at the proper angle to the blade of the saw. He used a hammer and a tool punch for this. I could do it but not nearly as well as he did

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ever been to a loggers' rodeo? Very interesting and a load of fun. You will definitely see some two handed cross cut saws in expert use there. Chain saws too, of course. The souped up unlimited hot saw class is spectacular - they'll cut a slice off a 3 ft log in about 3 or 4 seconds!! They don't run them very long though - fire it up, cut the slice, shut it down!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I cut down 3" saplings with a machete. If it's sharp, this is surprisingly easy.

Ask a Question