Does anyone have experience growing veg indoors?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
  • I am in Scotland - so cold climate with very little sunlight in the winter.
  • We don't have a South facing window, but we have a South West window in a room that I'm using as a food storage room.
  • We have shelving up against the window, giving us 3 tiers of growing space (for smallish plants).
  • The shelving (and entire window) is encased in a silver backed thermal material - so essentially making a little reflective 'grow room'.
  • This thermal material doubles to keep heat and light down in my 'cool storage room'.
  • We have grow lights, but energy prices have gone through the roof in the UK.
  • HOWEVER - we've installed a solar system this year.
  • From April through to September we have a good amount of sun and solar.
  • As this room is supposed to be a 'cool store' temps will tend to hover between a low of 12 and a high of 17. However, we can use heat mats in the little enclosed grow area.
  • I don't want to risk getting any kind of infestation in our food storage room.
Given these parameters, does anyone have suggestions about what to grow to supplement our food supply? I just want to make the best possible use of this little area. What would do well given this growing environment?

We have a polytunnel and a veg garden so this would really be an area to grow heat loving crops or to extend the season for things like little bush tomatoes?

As already stated, my big worry is bringing infestations of bugs into what is primarily a food store. The food is stored in cans or plastic so I guess it really shouldn't matter too much?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9
Country
United Kingdom
You could consider trying sprouting seeds , e.g. alfalfa , mung beans , etc.
Most need temperatures between 65-75 degrees . Keep out of direct sunlight until greening up . :)

Ask a Question