Does anyone have any experience with Blue Sea Hollies

Prophet

Intelligently Inquisitive
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I purchased a few Eryngium Blue Sea Holly roots and am searching for any information on keeping them properly. I have found the articles on it to be little to no help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm getting some this spring! Saw some in someone's garden, fell in love, :love:, and the garden center I go to most promises they will have them in stock this year. This is the photo I took, they are gorgeous with the black eyed susans.

20160723_113949.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Had them once but they've disappeared.:( I don't know what I did wrong. Could be my tendency to overcrowd:confused:. They are just lovely. Hope yours thrive Prophet.

Prophet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm getting some this spring! Saw some in someone's garden, fell in love, :love:, and the garden center I go to most promises they will have them in stock this year. This is the photo I took, they are gorgeous with the black eyed susans.

View attachment 16935
Wow that's a nice garden. I just planted 8 roots and added in a little manure. The information is kind of basic when it comes to this plant for some reason so I'm just gonna use my vegetable experience and try that method. The plants are goregeous, I plan on planting some around my purple/green elephant ears and some by my lamb's ears.

Prophet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Had them once but they've disappeared.:( I don't know what I did wrong. Could be my tendency to overcrowd:confused:. They are just lovely. Hope yours thrive Prophet.
I hope they thrive as well Thanks :--)....maybe you try again somewhere you can make a little space

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Only seen them in the wild on coastal sand dunes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Sea Holly is one that I really find striking. I'm also surprised that mine does as well as it does in a part shade location. Last spring I planted another root out in a full sun location. In the spring I have to keep an eye out for those worm nests where the leaves and stems join. I have to spray the bubbly nests with dish soap water. I missed one year and those beggars took the whole plant down quickly. Never again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Love these.....jade frost is unique I think. Variegated with pink foliage and more a pinky blue. Lovely.
Eryngium Big Blue is on my radar
On my sandy loam in full sun eryngiums seem to thrive.
Its the architectural structure too that I like ;)

Prophet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sea Holly is one that I really find striking. I'm also surprised that mine does as well as it does in a part shade location. Last spring I planted another root out in a full sun location. In the spring I have to keep an eye out for those worm nests where the leaves and stems join. I have to spray the bubbly nests with dish soap water. I missed one year and those beggars took the whole plant down quickly. Never again.
Yea i just ran across some online one day, loved it, and purchased then planted. No experience but they are gorgeous and attract butterflies is the main reason I bought them.

Prophet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Love these.....jade frost is unique I think. Variegated with pink foliage and more a pinky blue. Lovely.
Eryngium Big Blue is on my radar
On my sandy loam in full sun eryngiums seem to thrive.
Its the architectural structure too that I like ;)
Yes they are gorgeous. Mine are just now beginning to really start to grow. We had a surprise cold front move through the exact same week I planted them so I think it stunted them for a couple weeks. They seem fine now fingers crossed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
You will enjoy that plant Prophet. But keep and eye out for those worm nests where leaves and stems join. After late spring the danger is over, well here in Alberta anyways.

Prophet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You will enjoy that plant Prophet. But keep and eye out for those worm nests where leaves and stems join. After late spring the danger is over, well here in Alberta anyways.
Thanks for the tip I shall keep a lookout. I grow vegetables so used to dealing with pests as they are anywhere and everywhere here in the South. I'm sure its nothing some good old Sevin and soap/water can't handle..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Would love one if I had sandy soil, some how I don't think they'll be happy in Clay

Ask a Question