Is It Possible To Grow Miniature Roses Indoors In Flower Pots?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Roses are one of my favorite flowers. I especially love those dainty miniature roses that have red and white striped blooms. Would it be possible to grow one of these indoors in a flower pot as long as it is sitting in full sun?

Reaction score
Yes, I used to grow miniature roses indoors some years ago, is not as hard as you might think ;) You can definitely do it, you just need to get the hag of it. @claudine also grows them ;)

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
my mothers plant lost the flowers but they seem to be blooming again which is fantastic after taking so long. it seems to only be budding during the hottest month of the year which I have found completely strange

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I grow roses room right now. The best variety for the house is the rose bengal. But the others are also growing. The problem for them - spider mite and cool winter. Activity for the roses in the winter low. But now they have already given the new green shoots. It is not bloom, but I think it will be soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Like Splinx and Trellum mentioned, I grow miniature roses indoors:D They're my favorite plants!:love:
So yes, it definitely is possible. However, you need to remember that roses go dormant in winter. They should be kept in temperatures below 10 degrees c from late fall to early spring. Currently, all my miniature roses are in the attic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used to have a pot of miniature rose that I kept inside, but after a year, it didn't do so well so I planted it outside and it did great. I am planning on getting another one for the inside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had much better luck growing them inside than I ever have had growing them outdoors. I live in a temperate climate that has a lot of frost during the winter months. Last time I tried growing miniature roses outside they got infested with bugs and I had to throw the plants away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That's great to know. Would it be possible for me to sit the pots of roses out on my covered porch from late fall to early spring? I do not have a room inside that would get cold enough to make them go dormant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
That's great to know. Would it be possible for me to sit the pots of roses out on my covered porch from late fall to early spring? I do not have a room inside that would get cold enough to make them go dormant.
Yes, I think it's a good idea:) But you'll have to protect the pots from frost. I sometimes wrap the pots with layers of newspapers, thick fabricks and blankets if it's very cold.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I think that they are absolutely wonderful and the colours are amazing when you have a whole collection of them. I do love those miniature ones too they are so cute and romantic looking if that makes sense!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I have been struggling with miniature roses for two years now and this winter I have finally seemed to get it right. I bought some wonderful red miniature roses last spring and replanted these in a clay pot, when it was warm enough I took them outside and left them there until it was almost a freeze, then I brought them in. Truth be told I did not do much other then water them on occasion, I put them on the ground in an area with bright morning sun, but full afternoon light. In the past I put the pot higher on the edge of a raised bed and thy dried out fast. At frost I brought them in and placed them in full sun by the window, but it is very cold there and they like it. I only water once a week and have nice green leaves and the stalk part is green. Just enough to completely wet the entire soil. The plant is definitely alive and I know a day or two in the spring heat will make them bud.

One huge difference I did, was in the past I would prune the dead off, this time I left it, and it seems t have made a difference. I can hardly wait for spring to get here, this weekend is suppose to hit the 60's so I will be doing outside things to start the planting season. I am curious though, for anyone that has experience with the miniatures, I notice when I leave the roses outside the leaves are so much darker, almost red in color, is this the normal state or perhaps I need to do something more?

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can, but sometimes they get overcrowded and you need to move them to a larger container. I recently got some red miniature roses for Valentine's Day and they are already getting weak looking because the soil doesn't have enough nutrients. Those are a few things to think about. You also have to water it often because they get thirsty!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes you can, but some tips you must follow for getting good flowers and if you want your flower bloom more day:
Let the sun shine in.
These mini and micro hybrids won't bloom if they don't get enough sunshine. When growing miniature roses indoors, it can be challenging to find a spot where they'll get several hours of direct sun each day. So place them in window, If you don't have space in a sunny window, you can move your rose outdoors, as long as there is no danger of frost.
Water regularly.Flowering roses are thirsty, and they dry out quickly in containers. Stick your finger in the soil to check for dryness every day.
Deadhead spent blooms.Remove flowers as soon as they fade to keep plants looking their best and to encourage a long blooming season. Don't pluck them off with your hands because tearing can damage the stem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
All of these comments are helpful to me as well. I have tried several times over the years to raise miniature roses indoors and have had to fight off the bugs and other ailments the poor things acquired every single time. I finally gave up on it and so did my mother who had the same troubles. My roses would live and look great for a few months and then I would find them crawling with bugs, even when they were not kept outside. How does that happen when the roses are kept indoors? It's like the bugs hatch right out of the soil the roses are planted in or something. How is it that even when you keep a clean house, (or in my case, apartment) you still get bugs on delicate plants? I don't get it, except that they are tiny enough to crawl right through my window screens in the summer. Considering that I live on the second floor, those are some pretty motivated bugs.

Ask a Question