Possible to grow lettuce indoors?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it possible to grow lettuce in a container indoors?

We have 3 guinea pigs and in an effort to control costs related to buying fresh veggies, I took a stab at planting lettuce outside this spring and summer and it was a big fail. Problems included too much sun/too much water, not enough water at some points, and various animals digging up the seeds and plants. Likely the biggest problem was my own gardening inexperience and lack of knowledge. I want to try again and I was thinking that I might be more successful trying to grow it indoors were I have more control over the environment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

We have 3 guinea pigs and in an effort to control costs related to buying fresh veggies, I took a stab at planting lettuce outside this spring and summer and it was a big fail. Problems included too much sun/too much water, not enough water at some points, and various animals digging up the seeds and plants. Likely the biggest problem was my own gardening inexperience and lack of knowledge. I want to try again and I was thinking that I might be more successful trying to grow it indoors were I have more control over the environment.
You can grow lettuce inside quite easily. What really upsets lettuce is heat. It prefers cooler temps. When you sow the seeds don't cover them up. Just pat them down firmly onto damp soil. Using a spray bottle spray the soil often so as not to let it dry completely out. Keep in a cool sunny location and before you know it you and your guinea pigs will be in salad days again. Use only bib or leaf lettuce seeds

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Don't let the containers dry out as they're succeptable to root aphid indoors, at least that's what killed mine off everytime I tried.

You could try sprouting Alfalfa seeds, they've got vitamin c in them. a tablespoon of seeds makes a lot of salad. Don't feed them the unsprouted seeds though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Why not grow them again outdoors? This time of year it's cooler out and there is less sun so you don't have the heat issues of trying to grow lettuce in warmer months. I have two romaine plants outdoors now as well as chard and kale. In hotter months lettuce has to be grown in part shade.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Mizuna is good over winter too,it's like Lettuce but more related to Turnips :)

Reaction score
That is fantastic to know! I will definitely consider trying lettuce indoors myself to save outdoor space. How much sun does it need to grow?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for all the feedback and advice!

I will give it another go and see if I can manage to get a few plants to survive this time around. Another silly question, does lettuce have long roots? Could I get away with a somewhat shallow planter? Or does it have fairly deep roots?

I am too hesitant to try growing it outside again due to the problems with various wildlife nibbling and digging up anything I attempt to plant. It's too frustrating.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't let the containers dry out as they're succeptable to root aphid indoors, at least that's what killed mine off everytime I tried.

You could try sprouting Alfalfa seeds, they've got vitamin c in them. a tablespoon of seeds makes a lot of salad. Don't feed them the unsprouted seeds though.

Thanks for the warning about the aphids.

I didn't think of Alfalfa. maybe I will give that a try also. I was under the impression it was easy to sprout and grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for all the feedback and advice!

I will give it another go and see if I can manage to get a few plants to survive this time around. Another silly question, does lettuce have long roots? Could I get away with a somewhat shallow planter? Or does it have fairly deep roots?

I am too hesitant to try growing it outside again due to the problems with various wildlife nibbling and digging up anything I attempt to plant. It's too frustrating.
A 4 inch deep pot should be sufficient

Reaction score
Country
South Africa

I can't say that we have ever been successful in growing lettuce at home. It is a great deal better to have than to buy from the store as lately I have found the price has increased and the product looks a little dull. I googled ways to grow it at home but it has not worked out. You do need a vegetative soil and it is delicate when it comes to sunshine and rain.

Ask a Question