Is it possible to grow 90% of what you eat?

Reaction score
Well with freezing and canning, and we have our own eggs, meat rabbits and 1 and 1/2 cows in the deep freeze, soon will have milk goats, I think I could possibly grow 90% of what I eat.

Reaction score
I definitely can't grow 90% of what I eat. If I wanted to eat more home-grown food, I would need to change my eating habits more. In the summertime, I notice that I naturally change my diet to eat more fresh produce. I eat way more veggies than I do the rest of the year.

Reaction score
That's a really good question. I guess it depends on where you live, how much room you've got and how much time you've got.

In an ideal world I'd like to be self-sufficient in fruit and vegetables, but given the dire British climate in which I reside (coldish and dampish with a few weeks of sunshine) it wouldn't be possible without substantial assistance, including a very large greenhouse with heating, and significantly more expertise, time and money than I have now. I am starting slowly, with things that are easy to grow and can look after themselves relatively well, before I move onto more difficult produce.

Reaction score
Victor, if you see my response to your comment in the growing rice thread, you might discover it is completely possible for you to grow your own rice in a tub or in a few buckets. I have set some brown jasmine in a small container with water and soil. If it sprouts, I will find a suitable container to grow my own rice early next year.

Yes, I noticed that you have said that. Good to know that you can do it. I am sure that it works as a hobby. However to produce enough rice to meet my daily needs will require a lot more than just a few buckets. I am not sure if I were to grow rice on a flat rooftop, whether I can get enough rice for just one person to eat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Victor if you had watched the video of the farmer on you tube, you would have been able to see the comments below it. His twenty buckets yielded three kilos of unhusked rice. If you had the space you could grow whatever you needed on the rooftop.

Reaction score
In theory I could grow about 1/3 of what I eat. But in practice I grow about 1/10th of what I eat, perhaps a little bit less. I dream of the day when I have a garden large enough to grow almost all of what I eat, even then there will be a few things that I can only get in the store, like sugar for example, and beef.

Reaction score
I couldn't help to answer to this thread because this is something I've always wondered. Some people might call me paranoic, but one f the reasons I'd like to start growing my own stuff is because I'm a bit worried about different SHTF scenarios, so knowing how to grow your own food sounds like a great idea. Plus even if I never get to experience one of those SHTF scenarios in my life time... knowing how to grow my own food and conserving it will surely save me a few dollars and keep me entertained :) Plus... knowing how to can things like fresh spaghetti sauce is always nice! That can save you a lot time!

Reaction score
It would take some intense gardening to grow so much food. You would also have to take into consideration are you just speaking gardening wise or do you include the meat as well? Gardening wise you could grow what is suitable for your area unless you have a green house for more tropical plants. I really don't see our family being able to grow that much of our own food. I wish it were possible but I don't see it happening.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I can grow enough for me to eat, but as for pleasing the kids........:D

Reaction score
Possibly, my parents have always grown a garden they could eat, very little of it was stuff they could nto eat, so I say that growing a 90% edible garden is feasible.

Reaction score
I have a surplus of some items which grow well here. Other things I buy because they either do not grow well or I have pest issues (like lettuce, artichokes and even tomatoes).
I guess the answer to this also depends on how much of your diet is vegetables and fruits.

Reaction score
Victor if you had watched the video of the farmer on you tube, you would have been able to see the comments below it. His twenty buckets yielded three kilos of unhusked rice. If you had the space you could grow whatever you needed on the rooftop.

Can you direct me to that thread, I can not seem to find it. My search never pulls up what I need it to! Thanks.

I think if you put your mind to it and are willing to put in some hard work, you could grow 90% of your food. This would require careful research, planning, and time. I think once you figured it all out and what works best, the following years would be easier. I believe this kind of thing would work best for a person who did not have a job, though. If you count raising livestock as growing things, this lifestyle would certainly not be limited to vegetarians.

Reaction score
Growing 90 percent of your food would take a lot of time, effort and work. However, if you were willing to put in the time and work, it could be done. You would need a large space for growing vegetables. You would definitely have to raise some livestock such as chickens, beef cows and goats. You would have to can and freeze some of your food.

Reaction score
I'm not altogether sure that anyone can grow 90% of what they eat - as even though I grow all my own fruit, vegetables, nuts and herbs - which keep me going throughout the year, so that I never have to buy any from the store - I 'm not sure that - even as a semi vegetarian what I grow quite works out at 90% of what I eat - as I still have to buy bread, rice, pasta, pulses, coffee, fish and dairy products etc. which I think adds up to more than 10% of my total diet.
I do however think its possible to do so though - if you were to rear your own animals for both meat, eggs and dairy products - especially as many of my neighbors do this on varying levels and amazingly - without it involving as much work as many might think :)

Ask a Question