Is it possible to grow 90% of what you eat?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I think that it is possible. However, you must have land or enough space to plant everything you need. There's an empty lot beside our house, so I am free to plant whatever I want. Sadly, my dad's chickens eat the vegetables before they can even become ripe. There are many considerations before you can really grow most of the things that you eat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am trying romaine for the first time, @MICHELLE K. If I figure out any tips I will let you know.

Since this question comes back around from time to time, I thought I would share some links on the subject to help everyone figure out what they might want to plant in the room that they have.

http://www.wellfedhomestead.com/how...-your-garden-to-provide-a-years-worth-of-food

These are pins I found, but haven't read yet:
How much you need to plant to feed your family: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/565553665678657363/
How big a yard you ned...: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/574771971166677666/

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, these links are great. I appreciate them and hope they will help me next growing season. Keep me posted on how yours turn out and maybe we can share the secret.

Reaction score
I imagine it would be a lot of work to grow 90% of your food. Especially if you tend to eat a lot. I personally like a lot of variety and a lot of meat so growing 90$ of my diet would be next to impossible. I definitely enjoy eating a lot of fruits and veggies, so those I can grow myself. I say 50% is a somewhat realistic goal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Wow, these links are great. I appreciate them and hope they will help me next growing season. Keep me posted on how yours turn out and maybe we can share the secret.

Right now I am looking into information on herb yields. I'm trying to figure out how many plants I need in order to be able to harvest significant amounts of herbs daily. I've found a chart that lists the growing size but it doesn't say how long it takes for the plants to get to cutting/harvesting size or the regrowth rate after they've be cut.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We are planning on growing 90% of what we eat (we are even going to have livestock), so we would like to think so. If you have the right space and set up, I don't think it would not be possible. We have consigned to the idea that we will have to do all our growing in a green house and are working on getting one set up. We are also looking into hydroponics also.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The majority of what I grow in my garden is what I try to make a last of the winter season. So all of it gets canned right away, from corn to tomatoes and beans. I understand all of this have to go to the grocery store for one reason or another, to give flowery cornmeal and things like that. But you can also save a lot of money by growing your own food in your backyard. This year was exceptionally great for us we had over 1000 cans of goods that grew from our garden. When mostly use them in soups and in some cases just making a home cooked meal. But yes I would say for some that are really serious about gardening your trip to the pressure store will decrease.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly, as lovely as growing 90% of your own food sounds, I don't think it's a realistic expectation for the majority of people. It would require quite a bit of time and a ton of upkeep- you'd need the energy and patience and time to tend to it *a lot* and deal with any problems that might crop up. Personally, I really only have the room for an herb garden and perhaps a few vegetables, but nothing more than that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Honestly, as lovely as growing 90% of your own food sounds, I don't think it's a realistic expectation for the majority of people. It would require quite a bit of time and a ton of upkeep- you'd need the energy and patience and time to tend to it *a lot* and deal with any problems that might crop up. Personally, I really only have the room for an herb garden and perhaps a few vegetables, but nothing more than that.

Hey, Jessi, Haven't I seen you online someplace before? :) Welcome to the garden forum!

The big thing is time. I grow strawberries in hanging pots along a corrugated tin fence in a small yard that's almost totally paved in concrete. I would be growing even more stuff, but this garden isn't permanent so we decided not to fill it up too much. in case the opportunity to relocate to someplace with a bigger yard occurs

Reaction score
My problem with lettuce is not the SIZE of the lettuce (baby lettuce is very highly regarded where I live) but the FLAVOR of the lettuce! Our weather can range from a high of 85 to a low of 28 in less than 24 hours, and I tell myself that THAT is why my lettuce is bitter!:(

Heck, it may even be true.:rolleyes:

On the good side my cabbages make good coleslaw!:love:

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I do think it's possible. I currently live in an apartment building and have been gardening in and out of it for 2 years now. I have successfully grown a wide range of your everyday vegetables and have some stocked in my freezer for the winter. I haven't had to buy a single pepper this year thanks to all the sun that came by this summer. I think it's a great idea to try and grow your food instead of buying it. It is much more rewarding!

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Yes and no depends on where you live. For me a lot of farming communities are dying out and so maybe 40% of hat they grow they are able eat and make a living from. Mainly because there are a lot of imported farming goods and the younger generation don't seem to like farming.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you want to grow 90% of what you eat. I think you would need a very large area. I have seen it done before. This is a great idea. A better alternative to the pesticide infested stuff in the grocery stores. I may think about trying to grow at least 75% of my food.

Ask a Question