Is it bad to have grass growing around roses?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't make a border for my roses I just dug into the grass is that ok or will it hinder the roses flowering or something?

Attachments

• IMG_20190504_084541.jpg
    IMG_20190504_084541.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 953
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
The grass won't hinder growth or flowering, but it will be very difficult to mow around them. I'd suggest weeding out about one foot all around the roses, putting in a barrier, and then you can string trim or even mow around the roses without damaging the trunk. Depending on the variety of rose (floribunda, grandiflora, tea, etc.) the rose bushes may grow enough to make shade and kill out the grass all by themselves!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
The grass won't hinder growth or flowering, but it will be very difficult to mow around them. I'd suggest weeding out about one foot all around the roses, putting in a barrier, and then you can string trim or even mow around the roses without damaging the trunk. Depending on the variety of rose (floribunda, grandiflora, tea, etc.) the rose bushes may grow enough to make shade and kill out the grass all by themselves!

Ah ok thanks :) at the moment I'm mowing in between them with a chordless strimmer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
With respect of what MarlinGardener has said. :) Here in Britain we tend to cut an area around roses and leave it as bare soil. This helps to prevent diseases, particularly black spot in our usually damp atmosphere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
With respect of what MarlinGardener has said. :) Here in Britain we tend to cut an area around roses and leave it as bare soil. This helps to prevent diseases, particularly black spot in our usually damp atmosphere.

Ok thanks :) there's a small bare patch around them from digging up the grass to plant them about 6-7 inches diameter so I'll make it a bit wider then, I didn't want to make an actual bed the whole way along because it would take alot of weeding, I would like to have a border somewhere in the garden though I might post a pic tmrw in daylight of the layout to get an opinion where would best suit for it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks I'm also planning on planting some sage in between the roses to attract ladybirds and maybe some basil too

P

Peace perfect peace

Hi, a agree with whats been said ref a pathway for all kinds of germs to get to your roses But just give this one a thought,
Pre moving here to france we lived in the uk all our lives and so i do understand your weather,
But once we moved here we found little tell tale signs of why the french do some things we in the uk did'nt and this ones for you,
When driving along the verious motorways and country lanes you'll see hundreds of grape vine growing "but" if you look at the ends of the vines you'll offten see a rose bush growing !!!! Why?

Well it's the first sign of any of the verious bugs have arrived and this is the warning to the farmer to spray,

But you'll never see grass growing near the vines, grass as ive said is the pathway for verious bugs and they love roses.

Ask a Question