Badly trimmed Heart Leaf Philodendron cutting

Reaction score
Country
United States

I am just getting started with houseplants. I didn't want to invest much money to see if I was able to stick to it well, so I thought I'd start with some cuttings.

A friend of mine had these Philodendron's available which met my main criteria of "nearly impossible to kill", however, she unknowingly cut them wrong.

Two of the three cuttings (all of which has grown roots in water) have basically one leaf and then the stem the leafs each grow off is trimmed above a few inches. (please see attached picture).

Are the two plants trimmed this way going to grow? If so, am I able to re-prune them so they will grow?

I can't find anything online to tell me this, just how-to's on how to do the cuttings to start with.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @JustSomeGuy and welcome to the forums. My job was propagating shrubs/perennials, but I've never tackled this particular plant. Generally speaking, I can tell you that if you have a node at the base of your cutting, and a leaf or two at the top there is a chance that your cutting will root. Better to give it a go than throw your material away.... I wish you luck. Please let us know if you have success.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just leave them, and see what happens. I don't care for philodendron so I don't grow these, but I do know they are very easy to root. They will eventually either root or rot. If they rot, throw them away. If they root put them in a light mix of potting soil and keep moist (not soaked!). Most plants propogated from a leaf will send a new plantlet up from the bottom.
I grew two new plants from the tip of a broken san severis (some people call this "snake plant"). My husband accidentally knocked a very big, pale green / white san severis out the window and so it required significant repair. I had this leaf tip, about 3" long, so I just stuck it in a pot of loose dirt and it grew TWO NEW PLANTS! But it took a year. Cuttings like bright, indirect light.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just leave them, and see what happens. I don't care for philodendron so I don't grow these, but I do know they are very easy to root. They will eventually either root or rot. If they rot, throw them away. If they root put them in a light mix of potting soil and keep moist (not soaked!). Most plants propogated from a leaf will send a new plantlet up from the bottom.
I grew two new plants from the tip of a broken san severis (some people call this "snake plant"). My husband accidentally knocked a very big, pale green / white san severis out the window and so it required significant repair. I had this leaf tip, about 3" long, so I just stuck it in a pot of loose dirt and it grew TWO NEW PLANTS! But it took a year. Cuttings like bright, indirect light.
May I point out that this question was asked in April 2019 by someone who only posted this one time 🙄

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey! Jumping into the houseplant game with some Philodendron cuttings is a pretty solid choice – those guys are tough and forgiving, perfect for a green thumb in training. So, about your cuttings being snipped a bit wonky, no biggie! Philodendrons are pretty resilient. Even if the cuttings look a little sad now, as long as they've got roots and at least one leaf, they've got a fighting chance. They can bounce back from less-than-ideal cuts by sprouting new growth points, especially if there are nodes (those little bumps on the stem) left. You might not need to re-prune them right away. Just plant those rooted cuttings in some potting soil, keep the soil lightly moist, and give them some indirect light. Be patient and keep an eye out for new growth. It might take a bit of time, but there's a good chance they'll surprise you with some fresh leaves. Welcome to the plant parenting club – it's all about learning as you grow!

Ask a Question