I trimmed my yuccas and they aren't growing back

Reaction score
Country
United States
Two yuccas that I've had for over a decade had gotten so tall that they were bending down to get light from the window, which didn't look that great. I Googled yuccas, and in *numerous* places I found seemingly authoritative advice saying I could chop the leaf heads completely off of the stalk at my desired height and, given enough time, the yuccas would generate leaf shoots.

It's been over 6 months now, and nothing. I called the local nursery and a guy there agreed with the advice on the internet, advising me to cut the stalks down a few inches to make sure they were still moist, which I did, and they were moist. He said just give it more time.

I guess I'd just like further confirmation that at some point my yuccas are going to regenerate? Anybody else tried this? Anything I can do to stimulate them to grow leaves?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Some Yuccas don't live that long, so I guess the question is...What species do you have and what's its life cycle?

Maybe it was at the stage in its life that it couldn't recover from a total topping...?

EDIT: I also wonder if...Maybe you should replant it and then put it outside for some direct sunlight. That's just a guess though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks! I have no idea what type of Yucca I have nor what its lifespan is. Just prior to chopping them I repotted them, so I'm guessing since they've been effectively dormant they haven't used up all the soil nutrients just yet. The sun idea is a good one, I'll try it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Curious how firm the trunk is? I would think that if it is dead that the trunk would start decomposing and become soft. Maybe something to keep an eye on....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
At least one type of yucca is perennial outside in my zone, I had one at my last house. They do like full sun, and they are slow-growing. Check the trunk as roadrunner suggests, if it's firm it is most likely not dead.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Trunks are totally firm, no rot. Hopefully I just have to wait.

Ask a Question