Indoor Tomatoes

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you would have to get soecial lights to be able to grow them indoors. That's actually a really good idea to grow them side. This way you'd have them all year round. I haven't heard anyone growing them indoors either though.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have recently fallen love with the cherry tomatoes and would love to grow some indoors during the winter. I would have to provide direct light during the winter, which is not a problem. Keeping the plants warm at night might be a problem for me as the house is cool at night. This is something I will have to look into.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently fallen love with the cherry tomatoes and would love to grow some indoors during the winter. I would have to provide direct light during the winter, which is not a problem. Keeping the plants warm at night might be a problem for me as the house is cool at night. This is something I will have to look into.
Your house won't be cold enough to kill your tomatoes, I wouldn't have thought, although it will slow them down.
Here, our tomato season finished last month, and I made the mistake of buying tomatoes. Like crunchy water, YUK!!
I've sown a dozen or so saved Maskotka seeds, to grow in the house, with the hope I'll have home grown tomatoes by early May, instead of late June.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you need special green house lights to grow them? I would think they need a lot of sunlight since they are a summer plant. I would think they wouldn't last long living insdie. But I could be wrong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've got 4 pots of hydroponic and 1 pot of dirt tomatoes this year. I started them from cuttings out of the garden at the end of summer. I've had lots of blooms on the hydroponic tomatoes but so far just 1 fruit that I can find. I had to adjust my chemicals to stop putting on so much foliage and start fruiting. The dirt tomato is doing OK but no blooms at all. This is my second attempt at hydroponics and I'm excited to see if I can actually get mature fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is definitely possible! I would suggest maybe visiting a local hydroponic store, they would have the equipment and knowledge of how you would get started and what is the best route to go for anything you decide to grow indoors.

Ask a Question