Wanting to grow tomatoes indoors. but not wanting the plant to get large..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Okay odd post.. but im in the process of getting/building an indoor green house... Mostly i grow mint, aloe and a few other herbs...

but i was wondering, if i wanted to grow tomatoes indoors...

1. Is it possible to prune them so the plant only stays about a foot or so tall? Being indoors there isnt exactly enough room for a 2-3 ft tall plant like the ones i have in the garden...
2. with the lighting and the heat, can they grow year round? or will it naturally die off eventually?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Okay odd post.. but im in the process of getting/building an indoor green house... Mostly i grow mint, aloe and a few other herbs...

but i was wondering, if i wanted to grow tomatoes indoors...

1. Is it possible to prune them so the plant only stays about a foot or so tall? Being indoors there isnt exactly enough room for a 2-3 ft tall plant like the ones i have in the garden...
2. with the lighting and the heat, can they grow year round? or will it naturally die off eventually?
It is not possible to prune them to a specific height. There are numerous dwarf varieties available.
The older a tomato plant gets the less it will produce. One total year is about the longest possible. Some heirloom indeterminate cherry varieties will live longer but will get huge

Ask a Question