Noob Indoor Gardener

D

DrakeH

Greetings from the American Desert,

Somethings I suck at; gardening probably being on that list. I remember sowing seeds every spring and watching them rise out of the ground only to fall over and die soon after. Meanwhile my neighbor's garden would grow to feed an entire village. Recently I have taken an interest in growing garden plants indoors and found the process to be quite fun. I have even gone as far as to build my own rig with two 6400K, 1600 lumen fluorescent grow lights.

Although most sprouts died when I started, tweaking the growing method gave healthy plants that grow to their third set of true leaves. The issue I am struggling with now is the tips of leaves turning yellow after that. If it's possible to work through all the problems, I hope to expand until I have a full blown indoor garden.

Since I have visited this forum multiple times, I thought now would be a good time to join and hopefully give some advice back (when I get good that is.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Gosh! You already sound like a true expert!!.

I can't comment on anything as I only grow things directly outside in the greenhouse or ground. Someone will be able to offer advice soon I'm sure, but in the meantime it's a warm welcome to the forum from me :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Greetings from the American Desert,

Somethings I suck at; gardening probably being on that list. I remember sowing seeds every spring and watching them rise out of the ground only to fall over and die soon after. Meanwhile my neighbor's garden would grow to feed an entire village. Recently I have taken an interest in growing garden plants indoors and found the process to be quite fun. I have even gone as far as to build my own rig with two 6400K, 1600 lumen fluorescent grow lights.

Although most sprouts died when I started, tweaking the growing method gave healthy plants that grow to their third set of true leaves. The issue I am struggling with now is the tips of leaves turning yellow after that. If it's possible to work through all the problems, I hope to expand until I have a full blown indoor garden.

Since I have visited this forum multiple times, I thought now would be a good time to join and hopefully give some advice back (when I get good that is.)
You didn't mention which leaf tips were yellowing. The seed leaves or the true leaves. If seed leaves don't worry about it. The third reason leaves yellow is a nutrition issue. You don't fertilize new seedlings but when they have 2 sets of true leaves it's time to start feeding. Start out with 1/2 of liquid fertilizer.

D

DrakeH

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! :)

The most common cause of yellowing is a moisture issue. Either too much or too little. The second most cause is light, usually not enough.

It could be a watering issue as I don't have much experience with gardening, let alone indoor plants. I do hope it's not an issue there being too little light. Not really a way to fit anymore plants lights in the space I have to work with. Also can't lower them anymore without the plant burning up.

You didn't mention which leaf tips were yellowing. The seed leaves or the true leaves. If seed leaves don't worry about it. The third reason leaves yellow is a nutrition issue. You don't fertilize new seedlings but when they have 2 sets of true leaves it's time to start feeding. Start out with 1/2 of liquid fertilizer.

The not true leaves (?) yellow first, then after they fall off, the next oldest leaf starts to turn. I have made a post with a photo here if you want to check it out:

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/slow-yellowing-of-true-leaves-but-only-one-at-a-time.15084/

I don't want to hold up the Introductions forum with all my plant problems, however, or this would turn into a megathread! Thank you for all your replies though.

Ask a Question