Complete noob here...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Hello,

I am a total newbie to growing things. And yet, I now have a sizeable vegetable patch in the back yard, with which I hope to achieve some degree of success... With your help, of course. Because I have no doubt whatsoever that without help, I would fail and my vegetable patch would become an experiment on how to feed bacteria, fungi and bugs with what would otherwise be awesome food for people.

With that said, here is a picture of said vegetable patch as of a few weeks ago, just after we put the seedlings in:

6fa8mh.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looking pretty good! What do you have planted there?
I would mulch those babies. Will help control wreds and will also conserve water. Straw, newspapers, bark, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Looking pretty good! What do you have planted there?
I would mulch those babies. Will help control wreds and will also conserve water. Straw, newspapers, bark, etc.
Yeah we are going to mulch, getting the stuff for it this weekend.

I have 6 kinds of hot peppers (Indian Jwala, Early Jalapeno, Orange Habanero, Chi Chein, Siberian Home Pepper, Long Cayenne), red bell peppers, 3 kinds of tomatoes (tiny ones, "Sprite" variety, yellow "Golden Peach", and big red "Czech's bush"). Then we have snow peas, yellow string beans, cucumbers, carrots, onions, broccoli, kohlrabi, watermelon, lettuce, basil, chives. I also have helper flowers (cosmos?), some fennel, dill, lavender, and I have seed for a few more herbs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very nice variety! BTW, I grow cosmos and they reseed every year here.

I mulched my garden with straw, that usually works pretty well. Plus it breaks down and really improves next year's soil. We don't always get enough sunny days in our short growing season here to grow really hot or sweet peppers but that does not stop me from trying. :)

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Nice to have you here @Horrux

Your garden looks pretty already. I'm sure you will get all the help you need here. As long as you relate with details and pictures, you are in safe hands.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Looks like you have a great space going on there!

And like others have said - we all started somewhere. I'm nowhere near an expert, but I've learned more year by year. And each year my herbs and veggies grow better with the knowledge I gain. Trial and error a lot of the time!

Glad to have you here with us! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That looks great! Welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :) It looks like you have a really nice project in your hands :) Glad you decided to join us, because if you really need help, you will be able to find it on here :) Al you have to do is ask.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Thanks for the warm welcome, you guys! :)

I'm sure I'll have tons of questions... ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love the enclosure you have around your vegetable garden. I'm surprised the squirrels, rabbits, and other wildlife in our yard haven't done more damage to our little vegetable garden, since there's nothing to keep them out. I am new to the forums too and really like it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I love the enclosure you have around your vegetable garden. I'm surprised the squirrels, rabbits, and other wildlife in our yard haven't done more damage to our little vegetable garden, since there's nothing to keep them out. I am new to the forums too and really like it!
Thanks, it was a lot of work to put in... it is, after all, 7' tall, which required a stepladder, used on lawn, to hammer in the poles.

For us, it is more the domesticated lifeforms than the wild ones which we expect to cause trouble... Our 3 large dogs love tomatoes and many kinds of vegetables. And the neighbors' cats tend to use whatever area is mulched as a litter... Not to mention, of course, the wildlife: a chipmunk or squirrel in the vegetable patch when we take the dogs out would result in... mayhem, to say the least... ;) So yeah, for all these reasons, I felt it was worth going to that much trouble.

Lately I have worried each time a leaf had the tiniest spot, or hole, but I guess I'm calming down now, realizing that nature is NOT going to stop because I put a net all around the garden... :p

Ask a Question