HELLO! Noob Inbound!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
~12a
Country
Puerto Rico
I've already posted a bit of stuff, but I thought that I might as well introduce myself! I joined this forum mainly so I can ask questions about my plants, specifically my small rice plot. I truly enjoy gardening and I'm eager to learn everything about it! My garden is located in the infinite summer of Puerto Rico, so I don't have to deal with winter. Which I think is a plus. I have little to no experience so I'm no gardening guru.
Again, I'm just starting out, so here are the plants I'm currently growing:

*1 Cubanelle pepper
*1 Eggplant
*1 Passionfruit vine (young)
*10 young upland rice plants (my favorite :p)
*A pigeon pea tree
*mexican lemon tree
*A tiny avocado tree and some Black-Seeded-Simpson lettuce seedlings

Anyways, thanks for all your responses so far.

(My profile pic is one of my rice seedlings as of today)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Hi TGNoob...do you know what species your passiflora is? I grew Passiflora edulis golden and had fruits the first year, but did not start it from seed. My profile photo is the flower from that vine. The fruits are truly divine and the flowers have a heavenly spicy fragrance. I have a small garden in limited space. This Passiflora edulis, during the season of humidity and warmth grew like it had plans to fill the entire world up. It was amazing and just laughed at my attempts to prune it back some. I gave it up after 3 wonderful but labor intense (to keep in confined) years.

I am fascinated with your rice growing and i hope you will keep us posted of your progress. I had not heard of dry land rice growing until you mentioned it. I wonder how the grain compares to wet land rice in flavor, nutrients, etc. Well, so i welcomed you on your rice thread and am asking about the rice on your Intro thread:rolleyes:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
~12a
Country
Puerto Rico
I bought my passionfruit vine from a garden center, and all the label said was "Passion fruit". Nevertheless, Passioflora edulis does look very cool, I might look into it. As for my vine, I recently got it to climb a pigeon pea tree in my yard, so now it at least has a good form of support.
As for my rice, I wonder all the same things too! The recent rains I had these past couple days has sent my plants skyrocketing with new growth, so as long as my rice don't get swept away from heavy rain, they should be fine.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :) Your rice seedling looks great! I hope you enjoy your stay in the forum and have enjoy your stay :) This community is really nice and friendly, but also very knowledgeable. So if you got any question or doubt, please let us know!

Ask a Question