I think it's a fruit

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
When I was young, we had this tree that produced soft, yellowish fruit in our backyard. I never ate from it but my family liked eating it so I haven't been in the backyard for ages.

Since gardening recently piqued my interest I decided to revisit the backyard and remembered this tree. Can anybody help me ID it with these pictures?

Foliage:
DjXEn1V.jpg

I believe this is the fruit that is about to come out:
3mHexye.jpg

I found some on the ground, but rotten and as hard as a rock:
hnvvfm7.jpg

I tried to search for a fruit with a similar shape and color. I believe they look something like this:
hdrUG3b.png

Which fruit tree is this?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with Larisa. This is Sea-almond (Terminalia catappa), also known as Indian-almond and Beach-almond, in the White mangrove Family (Combretaceae). It's seeds are distributed by ocean currents and it is considered native to tropical Asia, Madagascar, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Hainan, Taiwan, Philippines, New Guinea, Australia, New Caledonia and many Pacific islands. However it has also been widely distributed and cultivated for centuries by man. Both the fruit pulp and seeds are edible and its water-resistant timber is used to make canoes. This tropical the tree is usually twice-deciduous, losing all of its leaves two times a year though often new leaves will immediately begin to resprout.

Ask a Question