Anyone growing Kiwi fruit

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The plant has a wide growing range and looks to be a prolific producer. Wondering if anyone is growing and experience growing them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The plant has a wide growing range and looks to be a prolific producer. Wondering if anyone is growing and experience growing them.
Professional growers tried growing them in the Rio Grande valley but found them to sensitive to the alkaline soils. Also, they take a long time from flower to harvestable fruit, about 230 frost free days. They are very sensitive to frost. I tried a grafted variety with better cold hardiness but my soil was just too alkaline no matter what I did. I kept the plants alive for 3 years but they weren't healthy. Frost finally put them out of their misery. You might find the following link interesting.
http://www.ktre.com/story/26580670/sfa-horticulturist-harvest-east-texas-kiwi-crop

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Egypt
Professional growers tried growing them in the Rio Grande valley but found them to sensitive to the alkaline soils. Also, they take a long time from flower to harvestable fruit, about 230 frost free days. They are very sensitive to frost. I tried a grafted variety with better cold hardiness but my soil was just too alkaline no matter what I did. I kept the plants alive for 3 years but they weren't healthy. Frost finally put them out of their misery. You might find the following link interesting.
http://www.ktre.com/story/26580670/sfa-horticulturist-harvest-east-texas-kiwi-crop
Hey. What makes a soil very alkaline ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a Meader kiwi plant (male and female) -- but they have not yet started fruiting. Last year, I dd not give them the attention they need -- so they are bouncing back this year with tons of TLC.

I hope to get some kiwis in the future! :D

Ask a Question