Has Anyone Had Success Growing Cumin From Seed?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This year I decided to try my hand at starting Cumin from seed.
The seeds came up and the plants lived for about a month and then they all died.
I had them in sunlight, seed starter potting soil and gave them plenty of water.
If anyone has any advice on how to start and successfully grow Cumin, I would appreciate it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This year I decided to try my hand at starting Cumin from seed.
The seeds came up and the plants lived for about a month and then they all died.
I had them in sunlight, seed starter potting soil and gave them plenty of water.
If anyone has any advice on how to start and successfully grow Cumin, I would appreciate it!
I don't know where you are located but to grow cumin it needs to be a warm/hot climate. It is not hard to grow if you keep it on the drier side of moist. I have had the best luck spacing the plants about 4"- 6" apart. The main thing I think is full sun, all day long. I start my seedlings when the soil is at least 70F and always water from the bottom up. It seems to like moderately fertilized soil and needs good drainage. It takes a long time for it to mature

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know where you are located but to grow cumin it needs to be a warm/hot climate. It is not hard to grow if you keep it on the drier side of moist. I have had the best luck spacing the plants about 4"- 6" apart. The main thing I think is full sun, all day long. I start my seedlings when the soil is at least 70F and always water from the bottom up. It seems to like moderately fertilized soil and needs good drainage. It takes a long time for it to mature
That is very helpful information, thank you! I live in Oklahoma so it should be warm enough here for it. I do think that I kept it too wet, so that may have been the issue. I will follow your tips and try again next Spring! Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I never thought of growing herbs from the seeds you get, i might give that a try sometime. I am sure you could not do that with the ones that have been roasted though. I am not a fan of cumin, so I would not grow that one.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've actually never tried growing cumin before. I use it all the time in my cooking. I never see these plants around my area either at food stores or local farmers markets. Is there a special place you need to get them?

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I have never tried to grow cumin seed, actually I never considered growing cumin seed even though we are already growing many herbs and spicies. We use cumin seed to spice up vegetables.

Ask a Question