How to remove this organically

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
Attached is what I see
IMG_7905.jpg
in my grass today. What is it and how can I kill it organically if possible please? I don't want to use chemical if I don't have to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks like common clover. As @oneeye stated. With proper fertilization of your grass it will never show up as it is a nitrogen fixer and soils that are rich in nitrogen is not conducive to the growth of clover. You can make a good herbicide out of pickling vinegar, orange oil and dishsoap. It will also kill the grass but the grass will quickly return.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Clover burns up here once it warms up, but the grass remains. Clover is just an early springtime phenomenon here, but that might vary place to place.
Unless you have non alkaline soils what you see here isn't clover, it is oxalis. Looks a lot like clover though. About the only way to tell the difference is that oxalis has semi heart shaped leaves and clover has a rounded leaf.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
... Our white clover is mostly gone, until next late winter.

Here about 100 plus miles north of the coast, the white clover which is naturally occurring, still has a ways to go to burn up...but it will soon. I love to see it...as it adds N2 to the soil....and would never deliberately kill it. My crimson clover is already gone for this year.

white clover.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plant in the OP appears to be Black Medick (Medicago lupulina), but there are other close relatives in the Pea Family (Fabaceae) that look similar, including other Bur-clover (Medicago spp.) and also Hop-trefoil clover (Trifolium dubium, Trifolium campestre, etc.).
It is always good to post several pics of a plant to be identified, including close-up shots of leaves and flowers and fruit, if any.

Lets some Medicago and Trifolium grow in a lawn. They are attractive and also fix Nitrogen. Let your control methods consist only of cutting back large patches by hand.

There are many Clover (Trifolium spp). native to North America, but most of the main forage crop and weed species are native to the Old World including White Clover (Trifolium repens), Alsike Clover (T. hybridum), Rose Clover (T. hirtum), Crimson Clover (T. incarnatum) and Red Clover (T. pratense).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would concur withMarck, looks more like a Medick to me. I get both white clover and medick in my garden, but the medick usually grows as a weed in paths and small gaps in walls etc; mowing does for it. Not so the white clover which can survive and flower even when cut close regularly. I don't mind clover, but you need to be careful with bare feet, bees love it and they don't like being stepped on.

Ask a Question