How long does chilly, pepper and tomatoes seeds last?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
I just found a pack of seeds of each, but they may be from mid of last year. Can I still use them or should I discard them?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just found a pack of seeds of each, but they may be from mid of last year. Can I still use them or should I discard them?

Thanks in advance.
If they have been kept DRY they should be fine. If any signs of mildew or mold discard.

Reaction score
For what it is worth, two year old bell pepper seeds have germinated very well for me. Three year old bell peppers only gave me a germination rate of perhaps 10%.

OHI I just remembered! Tomato seeds have the reputation of being hard to kill!

One time they tried composting the wastes from a sewage treatment plant to see if it would be a better method of disposing of the wastes from the cities, and they got a BEAUTIFUL crop of tomatos on the field that they used to spread the compost on! Apparently the tomato seeds had survived the human digestive tracts AND the composting method they had used!

I suspect that your tomato seeds will be fine!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Nice to know this guys, thanks a bunch. I just put some of those seed to germinate and I will see.

Regards!

Ask a Question