How long does it takes from flower to fruit for cherry tomatoes?

Reaction score
I live in a hot country which whole year round is hot and warm. Temperature is usually 77 Degrees Farrenheit at the coldest(average) and usually at the hottest of the day is about 90 degrees farrenheit whole year round. I planted a brand new hybrid which was only released this year which is the sweet aperitif cherry tomatoes, my only question now is the plant has flower buds, it hasn't bloomed yet but I believe it to be flower buds. How long does it takes to develop from flowers to fruit and I live in Malaysia which is around the equator.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live in a hot country which whole year round is hot and warm. Temperature is usually 77 Degrees Farrenheit at the coldest(average) and usually at the hottest of the day is about 90 degrees farrenheit whole year round. I planted a brand new hybrid which was only released this year which is the sweet aperitif cherry tomatoes, my only question now is the plant has flower buds, it hasn't bloomed yet but I believe it to be flower buds. How long does it takes to develop from flowers to fruit and I live in Malaysia which is around the equator.
Tomatoes are self pollinating and cherry tomatoes usually have clusters of between 6 and 10 buds in each cluster. The buds will not all open at the same time. When a bud does open and flowers it is in stages. It will be a litte yellow fower for about a week and look like it is fully open but it is not. It will then open even wider and become almost flat. It is at this stage that it can be pollinated and this stage lasts about another week. If after this time and it has not had sucessful pollination the tiny little stem will turn yellow at the elbow about 1/2" above the flower and fall off. If it has had successful pollination you will see a tiny little green tomato. From the time you see this until harvest it is usually between 30 and 45 days depending on the variety. Cherry tomatoes are not as heat sensitive as regular tomatoes and 77F as a low is even a little warm for cherrys so I hope this new hybrid was grown for your climate

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the answer, that is very informative, thanks again. I planted this variety because I read that this is suppose to be the sweetest cherry tomato around and I am trying to encourage my 3 years old nephew to eat healthy food. He doesn't likes to eat vegetables so I will grow him some tomatoes which is healthy and since kids like sweet food and this is the sweetest cherry tomato around, I think he will like it. The packet says grow the seeds in a tray, I just dump the seed in the ground, it says 15-20 degrees celcius germinate, I grew it during the dry season which was anything from 27-37 degrees celcius and the packet says 7 days to germinate, it only took less than half the time to germinate which is 3 days to germinate and the plant is doing quite well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks so much for the answer, that is very informative, thanks again. I planted this variety because I read that this is suppose to be the sweetest cherry tomato around and I am trying to encourage my 3 years old nephew to eat healthy food. He doesn't likes to eat vegetables so I will grow him some tomatoes which is healthy and since kids like sweet food and this is the sweetest cherry tomato around, I think he will like it. The packet says grow the seeds in a tray, I just dump the seed in the ground, it says 15-20 degrees celcius germinate, I grew it during the dry season which was anything from 27-37 degrees celcius and the packet says 7 days to germinate, it only took less than half the time to germinate which is 3 days to germinate and the plant is doing quite well.
Is this an indeterminate or determinate plant. It should say on the seed packet. Most cherrys are indeterminate and will have to be staked or caged something to keep them off of the ground. They should be at least 2 feet apart as they will be a large plant. Mulch the base heavily and do not overwater One good soaking a week is plenty

Reaction score
Actually it say inderminate, I am not too fussy on the details, too near or too far, the plants is doing well, the proof is that it germinated less than half the time. I water it everyday or two days once but again it is still thriving, i don't believe in being too specific on details There is something for the plant to climb. If there is nothing for them to climb then the plant will have to crawl :p but yes your input is very valuable and I appreciate it, by the way are you a tomato fan?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Actually it say inderminate, I am not too fussy on the details, too near or too far, the plants is doing well, the proof is that it germinated less than half the time. I water it everyday or two days once but again it is still thriving, i don't believe in being too specific on details There is something for the plant to climb. If there is nothing for them to climb then the plant will have to crawl :p but yes your input is very valuable and I appreciate it, by the way are you a tomato fan?
Yes, I am a tomato fan. I have been growing them for over 60 years and at times commercially. And if you continue to water every other day you will kill the plant. You cannot overwater a plant but if you water too often you will get root rot and if that happens no tomatoes for nephew

Reaction score
while I respect your opinion, but I still prefer to water it often or when i like, it rains often during rainy seasons anyway, though there is dry seasons here. Anyway, would you be interested to have some sweet aperitif seeds if I have some to spare and if I want to send which of course is F2 hybrid seeds.Not promising anything here. I bought it from Thompson & Morgan online and it is said to be the Holy Grail of growing tomatoes, is said to be 30% sweeter than sungold tomatoes. But I can't guarantee the F2 seeds will taste nice as F2 hybrid is no longer stable.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/apr/27/plant-week-tomato-sweet-aperitif
http://www.tandmworldwide.com/veget.../tomato-seeds/tomato-sweet-aperitif/tt38816TM

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I bought my cherry tomato plants as seedlings so I have no idea about determinate or in, but they definitely "ramblers." I have them in 12" pots with cylindrical tomato cages and I still had to add bamboo supports to help the "branches" - the clusters of cherry tomatoes weigh down the plant. It's getting really hot now so as soon as they stop flowering and producing tomatoes I am going to prune the plants back.

Also, the pots are on plant stands several inches off the ground. I check the soil daily to be sure it isn't drying out and water as needed.

Ask a Question