How long does it take for spider plant babies to grow roots?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this spider plant has produced a few 'baby' spiders. How long does it take for the roots to develop? It seems to be growing bigger and bigger, but there are no roots so far. Thanks :)
IMG_20180417_125029.jpg
IMG_20180417_125041.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They don't produce roots until planted, which you can do either before or after it has been separated from the parent (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Spider plants are one of the most fun plants to experiment on. Leave all the babies attached and mist the white nubs (future roots) with Miracle Grow solution daily. They will just keep putting babies out indefinitely. I had one over 7 feet long. You can also make “waterfalls” out of them by elevating the parent and let the babies grow in lower pots.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to the leaves becoming so long, I have noticed a couple of the leaves developing a bend or curve in them. Is this normal? Is there anyway to prevent this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have since straightened it by pressing the edges together and it seems to be holding up now. I had the window open today so perhaps the wind caught it. As long as there is nothing wrong with it, I don't mind :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They don't produce roots until planted, which you can do either before or after it has been separated from the parent (y)
Is it normal for them to look a look a little droopy when separated? I am thinking it might be the shock of it being cut from the main plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
As long as the soil is moist but well draining they should be ok. Some people put them in a glass of water until they root, but I don't think it's necessary. Too much or too little water can cause them to wilt, so check how much water it has.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Soil is just moist, I've only just put them in the soil a few hours ago so probably just the initial shock of being cut off :)

Ask a Question