How long does it take blueberry bushes to produce?

Reaction score
I have had two small blueberry bushes for about 3 years now. They are about 2 1/2 feet tall. How long does generally take them to start producing? Are they like certain other trees that need to reach a certain height or does it take a certain number of years?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
There are many varieties and variables with blueberries. Do you have flowers in the spring? My blueberries didn't do much for the first several years as they set down a very deep wide root system. Having an increase in bumble bees for pollination probably also helped since bumble bees come out earlier here than honey bees. Having different varieties is important for productivity. I live in western Washington state and our acid soil is a natural, but I have visited with people from Texas that have varieties suited for their soil conditions also. Not knowing where you live and the varieties you are growing limits suggestions. Here is a site that might help you problem solve http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publications/PDF/FSA-6104.pdf
That said if the plants look healthy be patient. Blueberries are a bush well worth growing for their beauty and are my favorite fruit.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Reaction score
Mine were guaranteed to produce the first year (they were 2 yr old transplants) They did, too. One bush had one berry, the other bush had 3 berries. Bush no. 3 had none but it was a little bit shaded. That would have been year 3 for the plant. Year 4, last year, was the first year I got enough to do anything with. About 2 cups between the 3 plants.

I did lose a couple of clusters to the birds so I started putting the netting bags from onions over the clusters. You need to leave them on the bush for 10 days after they look ready, and in those 10 days is when the birds eat them. :(

Ask a Question