How long does it take for ferns to establish itself after being planted?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I bought and planted some quart sized Japanese painted ferns in late may and the I can see that the ferns have already significantly grown in size which I'm impressed with. So I was wondering, could they have already established itself? I know that trees take a couple of years to establish but this fern was very small when I got it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not sure what the exact definition of established is for a plant...I'd think after a full cycle of the four seasons. But if your ferns are growing and not requiring any babying I think they are good to go! (y)

Are they the smallish ones with sort of red leaves? I have some of those, they've been in the ground for six years and dividing them is on my fall to do list.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm not sure what the exact definition of established is for a plant...I'd think after a full cycle of the four seasons. But if your ferns are growing and not requiring any babying I think they are good to go! (y)

Are they the smallish ones with sort of red leaves? I have some of those, they've been in the ground for six years and dividing them is on my fall to do list.
They look like this now.
3IWdX00.jpg

iMmXGIA.jpg

XlgBKQW.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have lots of ferns around the house which naturally spawns. Since we did not plant them, we treat some as weeds so we remove although there's a large grove in the front yard. Anyway, from what I saw when the fern is growing, maybe 2 or 3 weeks and the fern can be considered planted and alive. It is not a delicate plant and it is easy to grow as long as it gets ample water and sunlight. Good luck to your fern.

Ask a Question