How long does it take for asparagus to produce?

Reaction score
I have heard someone say that it takes about three years for asparagus to start producing, but that seems like an awfully long time to wait, I really hope it isn't that long!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The first year the crowns will send up a few shoots but you shouldn't harvest any of these. New shoots make for new shoots the next year. On the second year there will be a lot more shoots than the first year and a lot of inexperienced and impatient gardners will pick a few. On the third year is when you are safe to harvest but dont harvest them all. Leave a few. Always leave just a few and year by year the harvest will be larger and larger

Reaction score
The key here is patience because fresh asparagus is wonderful. If you follow the steps that Chuck mentioned then you will be well rewarded.

Reaction score
Well the only time I have dealt with fresh Asparagus is when I would go out and pick it wild, was a amazing how well it grew out in a Marsh like setting.

Ask a Question