How long does habanero pepper take to ripen?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I planted my seed a little late, around May 15th. I only have four peppers so far and they've been there for about a week or two. They're still green and starting to become firm. I live in Indiana and towards fall the temperature can get a little crazy. I was wondering if my peppers looked okay and generally how long does it take for peppers to ripen fully?

Attachments

• IMG_20160903_134214.jpg
    IMG_20160903_134214.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 730
  • IMG_20160903_134226.jpg
    IMG_20160903_134226.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 708
  • IMG_20160903_134253.jpg
    IMG_20160903_134253.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 1,096
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The rule of thumb is that the hotter the pepper the longer it takes. Your plants look to me to be under fertilized and that is because of the lack of foliage shown. Planted in May or June they should be at least 2 feet tall and about as wide with abundant leaves and fruit. Habeneros are fairly slow growing as fruit but the plant itself is fairly fast. You still have about 1 1/2 months before first frost so I hope your peppers will ripen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi, we live in similar zones and I have given up on growing most types of peppers, especially hot ones. I've tried Thai Dragon, Scotch Bonnet, Jalapenos and several others with little success. Not that much fruit and it didn't get very hot and tasty. I think they need more sun and many more hot sunny days than our typical Midwestern climate provides!

Hopefully you will prove me wrong and have a good harvest before winter hits. :) We have a month or two before the first frost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have grown peppers before, as we get plenty of hot sunny days here in Central Virginia. However, they have never turned out that great. I don't know if it is because they are needing more heat, if they need to be fertilized or what. The only peppers that I have grown is bell peppers. I would think Beth that your climate is probably not right for pepper growing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My habanero pepper has been out since May or June. I actually bought the plan for the summer of 2015 and brought the pot in for the winter.This year, It started growing peppers fairly early and they are just now starting to turn orange. I personally don't eat them, but I've been told that they are very hot. One of my friends ate a green one and almost burned his tongue out. I gave some of the yellow ones to a friend who cooks with them. She said that they were very hot. From the feedback I've been getting from friends, I'm guessing that one doesn't need to wait until they completely turn orange to enjoy.

DiMart

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My habanero pepper has been out since May or June. I actually bought the plan for the summer of 2015 and brought the pot in for the winter.This year, It started growing peppers fairly early and they are just now starting to turn orange. I personally don't eat them, but I've been told that they are very hot. One of my friends ate a green one and almost burned his tongue out. I gave some of the yellow ones to a friend who cooks with them. She said that they were very hot. From the feedback I've been getting from friends, I'm guessing that one doesn't need to wait until they completely turn orange to enjoy.

DiMart
I don't see how people eat the very hot peppers like yours and Ghost peppers, Peter peppers, Scotch Bonnet and the like. I grow all of the hottest of the hot but I only use them for insecticidal sprays. I can put one Ghost pepper into a large pot of chili and it is inedible, at least for a wus like me it is. About the hottest I can stand are Tobasco's, Hot Hungarian Wax, Serrano's and Jalapenos.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't see how people eat the very hot peppers like yours and Ghost peppers, Peter peppers, Scotch Bonnet and the like. I grow all of the hottest of the hot but I only use them for insecticidal sprays. I can put one Ghost pepper into a large pot of chili and it is inedible, at least for a wus like me it is. About the hottest I can stand are Tobasco's, Hot Hungarian Wax, Serrano's and Jalapenos.

I actually find Serrano, jalapeno, Hungarian etc fairly mild. Scotch Bonnets have an awesome smoky flavor and just about the right heat IMHO. Thai dragon ditto but I don't enjoy the flavor as much.

Don't get me wrong, I've had peppers and dishes that were ridiculously and unpleasantly hot, in places other than the Midwest. ;) I am not from here and don't have the typical bland and unadventuris Midwestern palate.:p Never tried Ghost peppers though.

Last week I caught a snippet of an NPR conversation with the...president of the US hot pepper growing association, or something. He said if you want maximum heat from plants, stress them with dry conditions and poor soil. You'll get fewer, but hotter, peppers.

Ask a Question