How dangerous / poisonous is the nicotiana plant to have around

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
I was planning on getting some nicotiana flowers this year but have read that they are poisonous to all animals, I have hens and dogs but they won't be anywhere near it I'm more worried that part of the plant like dead flower petals might blow into an area where they could eat it also there are wild cats around that I don't want harm I've also avoided getting lily of the valley for this reason, is it really that poisonous - would it be safer just to avoid it?

Is there any other annuals or perennials I could try which flower all summer and have a strong fragrance like stock?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is a Class One Toxic substance and is highly toxic to ALL animals. I wouldn't have it anywhere around my place.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Consider the outside area the kitchen of the critters that live there. Would you have it in your kitchen?

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I grow these every year, smell good. plenty of insect activity around the flowers, no ill cats have been seen.
Nicotine itself is a highly toxic but effective contact insecticide. In the plant levels are low and unlikely to cause harm. Some people dry the leaves of certain varieties and smoke them. I wouldn't recommend eating them or feeding them to chickens or cats.
in fact don't eat or feed any plant unless you have a positive id and are certain it can be eaten.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Ouch think I'll give it a miss then! Any other fragrant annuals I could try instead? Already got sweet pea, stock and heliotrope

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I totally agree with @NigelJ - and have grown Nicotiana many times over the years. The scent is lovely, and none of the animals have chewed on them. Generally speaking, animals show quite a lot of common sense - more than people very often.
If we start worrying about toxins in plants, we wouldn't be gardening at all. Some plants that are casually referred to as '' highly dangerous'' by people are actually used in medicines.
My favourite Nicotiana is ''alata,
lime green'' - lovely!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I've also grown Nicotiana for many years without a problem. I'd like to point out that 75% of plants growing in our gardens are toxic and it's only in recent years people have started to worry. For years, decades and centuries, animals and humans have lived with them and had no ill effect, and animals have a built in sense of what will harm them. In fact many poisonous plants are used in medicine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think many plants are toxic. So is bathroom cleaner, so you don't eat it! My exception is anything with poisonous berries I will not plant. Not with small kids around. I got rid of lantana partly for that reason (and because it was a bear to control). My kids just could not resist going for the berries.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I tried growing tobacco a few years back, slugs ate the lot of it :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sort of on the fence now, my pets wouldn't be anywhere near it and provided the wild cats don't try and eat it maybe it will be ok, the only way it could be in contact with them is when a flower dies and the petals could blow into the backyard where the hens could eat it I suppose that could happen hmm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Panda, over the years I have taken in just about every stray cat that wandered in here - and that's a lot of cats. I've also worked several years fostering small dogs for a rescue in the UK. None of the plants in the garden (many that are labelled ''poisonous'') have been of any interest to any of the animals in my care. If they ever chew on any plant out there it is grass - they all go for grass occasionally !
Just keep them fed on the right stuff and they will be fine.

Ask a Question