What Are Some Plants That Are Dangerous To Cats?

Reaction score
I have indoor cats and have always been scared to have a live plant in the house with them, they will chew on it. I have heard there are some very dangerous and poisonous plants that I should NEVER have inside the house with them. Does anyone know what they are?
I like things like ivy, and plants that grow like ivy does.

Reaction score
Diffenbachia, also known as dumb cane would be one as would be poinsettia. I know that there are several threads on this site that can provide you with a more comprehensive list.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
I can think of that was mentioned in my botany lecture a few months ago. I know for sure that azaleas and chrysanthemums, oleanders, tulips, lilies, english ivy, and the crocus. I've heard that marijuana can be toxic to them as well. If you grow catnip in your garden you can easily just have hanging pots of these if you have to have them in your garden. The cats will always stay near the catnip!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have no cats but we have 3 dogs inside the house. My indoor plants are the potted welcome plants which have glossy leaves and tender tendrils.I wouldn't have roses or any other plants with thorns inside for cats would sometimes be playful with plants and they might be harmed. With dogs, I have no problem because they have manners and they never tinker with the plants. And I cannot say the same for cats.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
I once had a cat that kept getting stuck in my roses and my thorny acacia bushes. She came back inside with scratches and pokings. So I'd recommend to keep your cat safe from the thorny plants.

Reaction score
Leanders are really dangerous! If they somehow eat the leaves they can get serious stomach issues.
I learned it a hard way, and a trip to the vets office.

Reaction score
Actually we do not have a cat at home. But it is interesting to know what are the kinds of plants that are dangerous to a cat. Animals are like human too that needs care, love and attention. Your cats are lucky because you really care for them. :)

Ask a Question