This Dangerous Weed

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
The giant hog weed is a very dangerous weed. It can burn, scar, and even blind you. They are spreading very fast in a neighbour's garden but he seems not to care since he never attends to his garden. How can I stop it from growing in my garden?
images 12.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I Have cow Parsley which is similar but not as dangerous as GH. That is a plant to take vary seriously. It will Try and Set seed In your garden & you can't stop that But there are measures to take. The safest way is to attack it while it is young pulling it up with the help of a garden fork. As You are aware of the hazards of the plant I Don't need to tell you to wear gloves & put some Eye protection on. remember not to put your hands near eyes. Wearing overalls over your cloths & carefully put them in washing machine after. You could Get some Information and kindly inform your neighbour of its Dangers . See if you can get hold of a Book so he or she can read it them selves. What ever you do don't let it flower. But be carful around it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Whoa, if that weed is so dangerous then you will have everything you can to prevent it from coming into your yard. I usually weed out my garden by pulling up the root since I don't use chemical to spray it, and keep my lawn short.

Have you talked to your neighbor about this problem and suggested to remove it?

Reaction score
Woah, I think I have seen those nearby as well, but I never thought too much about it, because I had no idea this stuff were so bad! I will be careful if I have children, I am so sure as a kid I did saw those as well... imagine what would have happened if I had tried to do something silly like try to touch it with my little hands?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This plant is very dangerous and it's so, so hard to get rid of it. One used to grow in my parents' garden. My dad spent three summers trying to kill it:confused:
Maybe your neighbour doesn't know how awful this weed is?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I am not familiar with the weeds mentioned in this thread because for me, weeds are weeds no matter what type they are. But if you say that the particular weed in the picture can even make you blind, I guess it has no reason to stay in the garden. Just like the pointsettia with the pretty red flowers, when I learned that the sap can sting the eyes, we removed them from the garden.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have never heard of this plant, it does sound very dangerous. I know poinsettia can be harmful to pets also. I have several poinsettia from the holidays in the house but we have no pets to worry about getting harmed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
A conversation with your neighbor on the potential dangers of the weed sounds like the best idea. Many people are not aware of the potential dangers of some plants. Having proof of the dangers, such as an info sheet printed from the Internet, may be necessary in order to validate your argument.

Ask a Question