Herbs Ideas For Tea?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay so I recently just discovered that you could make your own tea bags at home. (Don't laugh at me. lol, I know I sound silly) Anyways I was wondering if anybody could give me some ideas as to what kind of herbs and things I could put in the tea bags for flavor and calming affects??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Peppermint for sure...I have it growing wild every year and it's extremely hardy. I'm not a tea drinker and not a huge fan of peppermint so I don't do anything with it. If you live close to me you can come pick a bunch; so far it has survived several frosts. :) Chamomile, for sure. Also my mom used to make nettle tea - it grows wild in many areas and she also made it into a hair rinse. :)
You could also grow actual tea, depending where you live.
http://theherbgardener.blogspot.com/2009/06/growing-tea-plant.html

Reaction score
Country
United States
Peppermint for sure...I have it growing wild every year and it's extremely hardy. I'm not a tea drinker and not a huge fan of peppermint so I don't do anything with it. If you live close to me you can come pick a bunch; so far it has survived several frosts. :) Chamomile, for sure. Also my mom used to make nettle tea - it grows wild in many areas and she also made it into a hair rinse. :)
You could also grow actual tea, depending where you live.
http://theherbgardener.blogspot.com/2009/06/growing-tea-plant.html

I'm from western WA so that makes me a city girl, I have no idea where I can find nettle. And Chamomile is a great idea for tea, Peppermint hmm? Maybe I could use that for a tea I could drink when I'm congested or have a flu. Thanks for the tips :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Here, where I live, nettles grow everywhere:)

Lemon balm tea is quite tasty. I often drink it in the evening, before going to bed, because it relaxes me.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here, where I live, nettles grow everywhere:)

Lemon balm tea is quite tasty. I often drink it in the evening, before going to bed, because it relaxes me.

I've heard of Lemon Balm before other than my Eos lip balm called Lemon Balm lol. Anyways I'm going to do my homework on all your suggestions. I want to make to better then Lipton.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've heard of Lemon Balm before other than my Eos lip balm called Lemon Balm lol. Anyways I'm going to do my homework on all your suggestions. I want to make to better then Lipton.
I'm sure you'll make better tea than Lipton!:D
Another name of lemon balm is melissa. It's a great herb:) It has calming effects and relieves cramps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Chamomile is a really calming herb that most people use in tea before bedtime. It is known to relax the body. Ginger is also a good herb to use as it has multiple health benefits for the body. Kava Kava is another one that is growing a reputation for being a great tea with relaxing effects. Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm sure you'll make better tea than Lipton!:D
Another name of lemon balm is melissa. It's a great herb:) It has calming effects and relieves cramps.

I need to grab me some chamomile and lemon balm or Melissa. For the calming and cramp relief.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chamomile is a really calming herb that most people use in tea before bedtime. It is known to relax the body. Ginger is also a good herb to use as it has multiple health benefits for the body. Kava Kava is another one that is growing a reputation for being a great tea with relaxing effects. Hope this helps!

Kava Kava sounds interesting. It's time for a little info searching.

Reaction score
Mint leaves are absolutely amazing for tea. I used to throw fresh mint leaves in boiling water and let it seep for a long long while. Lemongrass is also very relaxing. I love making teas from fresh herbs, but dry will work just the same. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mint leaves are absolutely amazing for tea. I used to throw fresh mint leaves in boiling water and let it seep for a long long while. Lemongrass is also very relaxing. I love making teas from fresh herbs, but dry will work just the same. :)

Lemongrass!!!!! Omg you have no idea how long I've been trying to remember the name of that plant to put into tea. Because of this thread I learned about Lemon Balm.
Lemongrass is the one I couldn't stop thinking of all day. Thank you girly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Peppermint is a good idea. Also mint is a very easy herb to grow. I personally am a fan of mint tea so that would be my top pick.

I'm not sure what goes into black or white tea or even green tea. I'd also love to be able to make my own green tea as opposed to buying it all the time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I grow chocolate mint this past summer and have made many tea cups with this herb. It is very delicious and smell so good. I have mint grows in my yard, and I usually use mint to flavor my water too. My friend has made tea with catnip also and she loves it.

Ask a Question