Help with a problem

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Good morning, hi everyone i have a problem mainly with my chilly plants but not restricted just to them. I think it's a nutrient proble but not sure.
I live in the southern Phillippines and my soil ph is around 6.8 to 7.3. Can anyone see from my pic what it could be.
20210530_121218.jpg

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm no expert, but I'll tell you what works for me.
When I see yellow leaves on my peppers, it means they're not uptaking nutrients.
I mix 2 TBsp of Epsom salt in a gallon of water (stir to dissolve) and water the plants. A gallon would do maybe 8 plants for me.
Epsom Salt is magnesium sulfate & THAT helps the uptake of nutrients. I normally see a darker green to my leaves in 1-3 days.
Everyone has opinions & like I said I'm no expert. I just know what works for me.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Thanks Mick, I will wait on a few more replies but will give them a dose anyway, cant hurt..
Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a similar problem. I have used bloodmeal, epsom salts, more or less fertilizers and am now trying hydrogen peroxide. So far nothing has worked but it seems that the plants outgrow whatever this is. It also doesn't seem to affect fruiting although this is impossible to know one way or the other. Also it appears that this affects only the top growth. As the plant grows taller the leaves at the bottom stop having this. Our two problems may not be exactly the same but they sure look related. I think your plants are lacking nitrogen. I would add bloodmeal for added nitrogen but I think we are in the same boat as far as the distorted leaves go.

IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Thanks for the reply Chuck, here in the Philippines the ground has been smashed. The locals sweep all the leaves into piles and burn everything or they dig pits to make charcoal so there is no organic material going back into the ground and the soil is burned deep from charcoal.
They grow a lot of plants we would call weeds, I'm guessing because nothing else grows.
If i plant 50 seeds maybe 3 will germinate but as they grow they struggle. Anyway thats the fun, trying to work it all out.
Thanks again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply Chuck, here in the Philippines the ground has been smashed. The locals sweep all the leaves into piles and burn everything or they dig pits to make charcoal so there is no organic material going back into the ground and the soil is burned deep from charcoal.
They grow a lot of plants we would call weeds, I'm guessing because nothing else grows.
If i plant 50 seeds maybe 3 will germinate but as they grow they struggle. Anyway thats the fun, trying to work it all out.
Thanks again.
I suppose they are clueless about composting?

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hahaha they dont know what i am doing when i bag the leaves, I say composting and they ask what it means.
They say i should cut my trees down so I dont have to clean up the leaves.
And they say that as they throw their plastic wrappers and litter on the ground. I can dig down 18 inches and the ground is full of trash.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hahaha they dont know what i am doing when i bag the leaves, I say composting and they ask what it means.
They say i should cut my trees down so I dont have to clean up the leaves.
And they say that as they throw their plastic wrappers and litter on the ground. I can dig down 18 inches and the ground is full of trash.
As they say, (you can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bumpy leaves suggest to me that this is insect feeding problems. Whenever I notice this on my plants I usually find aphids or something else sucking the hell out of them under the bumpy bits. Sometimes it can be caused by galls, but I don`t think it is anything to do with a nutrient deficiency.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I have had a good look and can't find anything, I will take a closer look.
There are a lot of red ants here and they farm the aphids but they are not on the peppers so I'm not too sure.
It's also the lime green colour, chilli should be dark green. I guess the fun continues.
Thanks and I will have a good look.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As long as you are having ''fun'' it doesn`t matter that much aye. Maybe you ought to talk to them a bit more :happy:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The bumpy leaves suggest to me that this is insect feeding problems. Whenever I notice this on my plants I usually find aphids or something else sucking the hell out of them under the bumpy bits. Sometimes it can be caused by galls, but I don`t think it is anything to do with a nutrient deficiency.
On my peppers I have looked all over the plant with a magnifying glass and there isn't an insect or mite or thrip or anything. It is on all new growth but it isn't on all the plants. Some plants are right next to each other, same variety, same everything and are completely free of whatever it is. I started a hydrogen peroxide regimen 8 days ago, spraying a 2 to 1 mixture of water and 3% peroxide every 3 days. It appears to be doing something. I will know much more in another week. This has been going on for at least 4 years. All I can think of is some fungus or virus causing this. And what ever it is has to be air born as I have grown peppers in containers with completely different soil. Unless it is caused by some random insect who fly's in, does its thing and fly's off. I don't get stumped very often but this thing has me baffled. Just another episode of the Joy's of Gardening I guess.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Insects can cause these galls by doing their worst, and then leaving - a bit like when something bites your skin and then clears off. It`s after the event that your skin is irritated and itchy and comes up in humps and bumps and hives. After a while it all calms down again and goes back to normal - all ready for the next ruddy insects to get you. That`s how the blighters can affect leaves too.

The only other explanation I can think of is edema.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
This is the tropics and there are a lot of new things for me to learn, 2 seasons, hot and dry and hot and wet. There also lots of new bugs.
I am from Melbourne Aust, anything i needed there was just a short drive away and 4 seasons to work with but here i cant get anything unless I buy it online. There are no gardening centers here so I cant even get a garden fork to turn the soil. Very basic place, bamboo houses with nipa roofs (grass) and good people

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Insects can cause these galls by doing their worst, and then leaving - a bit like when something bites your skin and then clears off. It`s after the event that your skin is irritated and itchy and comes up in humps and bumps and hives. After a while it all calms down again and goes back to normal - all ready for the next ruddy insects to get you. That`s how the blighters can affect leaves too.

The only other explanation I can think of is edema.
I just don't know...........yet, but I will even if it harelips every cow in Texas.

Ask a Question