Need help with hardscaping problem

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all.
Newbie here

im doing a project at my newly purchased home. i have some pavers to install, a pad that will be going from the shed to the house. i have a problem, the house and the shed are not parellel to eachother.

does anyone have any ideas on how I can get a nice crisp look even though these 2 lines are not parellel?

thanks so much.

Attachments

• A83EA827-1E69-40D6-BFBB-93023BAE622A.png
    A83EA827-1E69-40D6-BFBB-93023BAE622A.png
    79.1 KB · Views: 83
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I want to put pavers between the house and shed. But you can see how they are not parallel each other. I’m worried this will look sloppy because the the shed is skewed.

Any advice Is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a few words of advice from me .......... A garden with straight lines is not worth having. You need lots of curves, pathways that go around corners, and shrubs, grasses and flowers that lead the eye to the next interesting place.
Just read Dr Case`s comment - would it not be easier to plant some flowering shrubs next to it and build an arbour with some honeysuckle on it ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:giggle: I can see your angle, and if you need to line up those elevations, that`s just fine...... but I especially like those lovely curvy pathways and grasses - what a lovely garden.

And so @Buco123 how about a real picture ?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just a few words of advice from me .......... A garden with straight lines is not worth having. You need lots of curves, pathways that go around corners, and shrubs, grasses and flowers that lead the eye to the next interesting place.
Just read Dr Case`s comment - would it not be easier to plant some flowering shrubs next to it and build an arbour with some honeysuckle on it ?
I understand that a garden is a place to lose yourself, but I’d really like to build a nice foundation for a start.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
@Buco123, you want pavers between the two and NO exposed soil or plantings right?

Is this for a driveway / vehicle traffic or as a patio sitting area?

What kind of pavers do you want to use for this? 4x8 Holland Pavers, 8x16 rectangles, 12x12 squares, ...?

From the topo survey you attached this looks like a significant area you want pavers in. I've done a few large patios at my last house with 8x16" pavers in a harring-bone pattern. You're looking at some hard work weekends moving a lot of really heavy stuff - wheel barrow loads of crushed lime and sand beyond just the pavers.

If you do this large area in a square or running jack pattern with rectangular pavers you will clearly see the non-parallel layout of the buildings. If you use a herring-bone pattern it will be obscured somewhat.

Either way it will look sloppy if you don't cut the pavers as needed to make the lines nice at the buildings.

As a new homeowner learn early that tool-rental is your friend.

If you don't want a wall to wall patio design in meandering paths and plant around them.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi Mr Yan.

this will be a sitting area, I have 8x16 rectangles.
Yes, this is a ugly job.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
@Buco123, it's a big job yes but well within the reach of a DIY project.

I put in a 12'x16' patio to a 3' wide 30' long path to a 16'x16' patio in 3 or 4 full weekends. The base is about 8" of crushed lime. The pavers are 8"x16" laid in a herring bone pattern. Tamp / compact the crushed lime or sand base well. Rent a motorized tamper for a project this large.

To cut the stones I used a diamond rimmed concrete cutting blade for my circular saw. The blade was about $15 USD, but that was about 12 years ago too.

It looked good but I wish I had opted for the 4" x 8" Holland pavers over the 8" x 16" pavers. I would have been about 2x the paver cost but I think it looks bettee. I am also convinced the Holland pavers fit together better than the 8x16x1.5" pavers.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yes Mr Yan,A big job. I like to stay busy at home but A guy can get overwhelmed quite easy.
Having said that, it’s a nice sense of satisfaction when it all comes trough.

Ask a Question