Light problems, please help :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone :) i got my new cool gadget yesterday that i've been beyond excited about haha! I can now measure my soil ph, moisture and light. Which brigs me to my question.. I don't think there is enough light in my house. My south facing window is about the only spot where there is any sort of decent light. All other places are very low in light. 100FC at best and one spot at 200FC. Is this normal? Is it just because it's winter time? Do i need to provide extra light or do my plants know it's winter and will be fine come spring/summer time? Sorry, may seem like a silly question but i know absolutely nothing about light and i'm debating whether i need some lights for my plants or if i should just hold off until we have 'brighter' days. Most my plants are doing ok. I have moved my ficus benjamina to my south facing window as it's the brightest spot and my ficus is looking very sad, however, i'm worried in case the only bright spot in the house might be too bright for my ficus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Ficus can adapt to lower light. What they don’t like is being moved and cold. Even though your room may be warm enough, the inch or two by the window may be much cooler. Especially if you have older windows. Don’t panic if your Ficus looses all its leaves. Just put it where it will be above 50 degrees F and keep it moist but not wet. Mine seem to respond well to an occasional misting too.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don`t keep any plants at all on a south facing window sill. All of mine including a ficus, spider plant. and orchids etc etc are on north facing sills. The bathroom is a favourite place for them because they love the humidity. Direct sunlight (if we ever get any more of it) is not good for most of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have a light meter and inside light of 100 is not workshop lighting exactly but 150-200 lumen is getting up there. Outdoors though they are full shade numbers. 4000 is a full sun number I have seen.

Ask a Question