Please help diagnose my seedling problem?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Beginner grower here, so be gentle lol. So I have some Scarlet Emperor runner bean seedlings that are about 2 weeks old now. To my surprise they were coming along great and problem free with beautiful green leaves, but in the last few days the leaves have gone pale green, possibly going into yellow and with a very slight dark edge. Someone on another forum suggested chlorosis, which it definitely does resemble pretty much exactly in that the veins are still deep green. Pic attached.

I should note that I have just removed the mulch which is just long grass clippings, in case it's do with aeration as has been suggested to me.

If chlorosis, how do I go about finding the correct remedy? I'm reading it can mean deficiencies in several things. Here is the soil I'm using, which I've already been told is a poor choice but I chose it specifically after a favourite Youtube gardener I watch used it (Link if interested). We happen to live geographically very close in Australia with the same climate (sub tropical) which is a big reason I watch and learn from him. So yeah, that's my reason for the mix. He mentioned it not needing extra fertiliser, so I haven't added any.

Any help greatly appreciated. This stuff definitely gets overwhelming when you're new at it lol. :oops:

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 128
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Beginner grower here, so be gentle lol. So I have some Scarlet Emperor runner bean seedlings that are about 2 weeks old now. To my surprise they were coming along great and problem free with beautiful green leaves, but in the last few days the leaves have gone pale green, possibly going into yellow and with a very slight dark edge. Someone on another forum suggested chlorosis, which it definitely does resemble pretty much exactly in that the veins are still deep green. Pic attached.

I should note that I have just removed the mulch which is just long grass clippings, in case it's do with aeration as has been suggested to me.

If chlorosis, how do I go about finding the correct remedy? I'm reading it can mean deficiencies in several things. Here is the soil I'm using, which I've already been told is a poor choice but I chose it specifically after a favourite Youtube gardener I watch used it (Link if interested). We happen to live geographically very close in Australia with the same climate (sub tropical) which is a big reason I watch and learn from him. So yeah, that's my reason for the mix. He mentioned it not needing extra fertiliser, so I haven't added any.

Any help greatly appreciated. This stuff definitely gets overwhelming when you're new at it lol. :oops:
You have two problems. It looks like the plants are staying too wet. The second is chlorosis, either Iron or Nitrogen. I woud say Iron because of the green veins and beans are a nitrogen fixer. Usually a nitrogen deficiency shows yellow veins but not always and though not rare a nitrogen deficiency in beans is somewhat unusual. If it is a lack of nitrogen you should fertilize. You need to fertilize anyway so fertilize for growth and get Iron Chelate to fix the chlorosis.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'll try that. Will the effected leaves reverse in colour or always be that way now?

I've been very careful not to overwater these as I was guilty of that the last time I tried growing anything. The soil just feels nicely damp, definitely not soaked. What makes you think they are too wet?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'll try that. Will the effected leaves reverse in colour or always be that way now?

I've been very careful not to overwater these as I was guilty of that the last time I tried growing anything. The soil just feels nicely damp, definitely not soaked. What makes you think they are too wet?
Too wet or unlikely too dry because of the leaf margins beginning to turn brown. Yes, the leaves will return to normal.

How do you know how wet the soil is at root depth? If nicely damp on the surface what is it at 3 or 4 inches? Is it wet enough to retard oxygen to the roots. If you keep the soil nicely damp on the surface all of the time, what do you think is happening down at the roots. It gets wetter and wetter because the moisture cannot evaporate as fast at depth than it does on the surface. You should let the soil be dry for a couple of inches before watering again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I was referring to a few inches down it feels that way, though some of the seeds seem to have come closer to the surface than when I planted them (watering shifted them up maybe?). They aren't sticking out of the surface or anything, but I definitely planted them deeper. I forgot to ask if that will become a problem? But yeah, I think I've only watered the pot once since they've sprouted at the surface - about a week ago they sprouted, and a couple nights ago I watered, then the following day I noticed the colour change starting. So maybe you're right and I watered too early or something.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was referring to a few inches down it feels that way, though some of the seeds seem to have come closer to the surface than when I planted them (watering shifted them up maybe?). They aren't sticking out of the surface or anything, but I definitely planted them deeper. I forgot to ask if that will become a problem? But yeah, I think I've only watered the pot once since they've sprouted at the surface - about a week ago they sprouted, and a couple nights ago I watered, then the following day I noticed the colour change starting. So maybe you're right and I watered too early or something.
The soil settled and that makes it seem as if the seeds came up. It won't matter. The main worry right now is getting some growth started. There should be growth showing so ASAP fertilize. You may want to use a liquid or soluble fertilizer in a container plant.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Doing right now. What's the best way to apply? On soil or spray onto leaves?

Ask a Question