Help me identify this bush!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can anyone tell me what type of bush this is? It needs lots of water, grows really long, spindly branches with bunches of round leaves on top, produces yellow blossoms in late fall, seems to like full sun, and thrives in hot, dry climates. Ideas??

Attachments

• IMG_3432.JPG
    IMG_3432.JPG
    297 KB · Views: 234
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It looks like a Caesalpinia mexicana due to the leaf size, the amount of leaves, color of the flower, bud shape, and its tolerance to sun and drought. Any pictures of the flower? Where do you live?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks like a Caesalpinia mexicana due to the leaf size, the amount of leaves, color of the flower, bud shape, and its tolerance to sun and drought. Any pictures of the flower? Where do you live?
I'm in Arizona.

Attachments

• IMG_3431.jpg
    IMG_3431.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 297
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

The plant pictured is a Senna, most likely Winter Senna (Senna bicapsularis), though there are other similar species.

Erythrostemon mexicanus (formerly Caesalpinia mexicana) is a related plant, but the leaf form and anther shape are different, as are the fruit and seeds, though these are not visible in the photos shown.

Senna and Erythrostemon are both in different tribes of the Caesalpinioideae Subfamily of the Pea Family (Fabaceae)

Last edited:

Ask a Question