Help identifying a bush (photos)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all. My dog keeps eating this bush we have in the rock area around our house. I would like some help IDing it if someone could give some insight. I plan on putting up some fencing around this area to stop it but I'm curious as to what it is.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_2083.JPG
    IMG_2083.JPG
    261.4 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_2084.JPG
    IMG_2084.JPG
    222.1 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_2085.JPG
    IMG_2085.JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_2086.JPG
    IMG_2086.JPG
    242.6 KB · Views: 322
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome! What state/growing zone are you in?
I'm not the best at identifying plants, but if you're in a warm climate I'd almost say it's a geranium gone wild. Does it flower?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ah,OK. Well ignore my geranium suggestion, then!
I have a perennial geranium that looks somewhat like your bush but mine flowers most of the growing season here.

Reaction score
Hello all. My dog keeps eating this bush we have in the rock area around our house. I would like some help IDing it if someone could give some insight. I plan on putting up some fencing around this area to stop it but I'm curious as to what it is.

Thank you

Hi Fishur and welcome

Looks very much like a chrysanthemum to me - which is - rather than being a bush - a perennial plant that normally flowers prolifically well after everything else has stopped flowering - late summer and well into autumn :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I am thinking Mum also, somewhat toxic to Dogs so fencing would be good

Reaction score
Country
United States
After looking chrysanthemum leaves up I think you are correct. I also saw the toxicity to dogs so thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
While you are messing around in the area, I believe many (or prhaps most) mums can do better by pinching them back to about 6 inchs until Begining of july, then leave them alone best flowering (might google that idea also)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am guessing it is chrysanthemum as well! It is strange to be that mature and not flowering though. It would be nice if it is flowering so we can see exactly what it is!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I am guessing it is chrysanthemum as well! It is strange to be that mature and not flowering though. It would be nice if it is flowering so we can see exactly what it is!
I think it may be a fall flowering one so will bloom later. I also think many will get rather tall if not pinched back to create more branchs (and flowers)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi Fishur and welcome

Looks very much like a chrysanthemum to me - which is - rather than being a bush - a perennial plant that normally flowers prolifically well after everything else has stopped flowering - late summer and well into autumn :)
I have to agree, and this is the time of year when it should be cut back by a third, and then in another two weeks another third. Then sit back, and watch it take off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Yes that definitely looks like a Chrysanthemum to me, and I agree if you trim it you will have a huge ridiculous bloom when it gets closer to fall. Leave it alone and just put leaves on it for the winter and it will come back next year.
i want to weigh in on the toxicity of the plant, It is true it will make your dog vomit, or drool like crazy if the dog is wanting to eat some of this plant I suspect your dog might have some sort of gastro issue from bacteria or worms. You might want to send a stool sample to the vet.

The reason i say this is I grow a ton of these on the side of my walk and have noticed that the rabbits leave the plant alone but the groundhogs eat the flowers all the time, they will clear a whole plant at times. Additionally my turtles love these plants. I have never had a problem with the turtles or any of the local wildlife eating these plants. My Sulcata will literally run towards these flowers to eat them. A turtle is not a dog I know.

In Chinese medicine the chrysanthemum is used for teas that have a bit of an anti bacterial property, You drink it if you feel you maybe getting the flu. The flower itself can be used in salads and although smells strong tastes similar to nasturtium. I am not a doctor or a vet, I am just letting you know if the dog is taking a bite now and again there probably is a reason, animals seem to know instinctively about plants.

Ask a Question