Help me diagnose light spots on sunflower leaves

Reaction score
Country
Egypt
Hello. I planted sunflower in my balcony from seeds about a month ago and yesterday I noticed these light spots scattered on some leaves. I’m worried that it could be a damaging infection. Please help me to diagnose and control it.
Notice: I plant it in potting mix soil and water it every two or three days. The balcony got 3 hours of direct sun. I live in Egypt and the weather is kind of hot in the morning and cooler at night.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Could it be from water droplets on the leaves burned by the sun? I might also be from a very tiny insect called a thrips.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
SUNflowers need full sun a minimum of 8 hours a day. Without it, they will often show symptoms from other causes when the "root" cause is actually lack of full sun which provides a vigorous insect and disease resistant plant.

Ever notice how the head of the plant follows the sun? They love full sun and need it to thrive. Maybe home remedies will help, maybe not...but I suspect the real cause is lack of sufficient hours of daily full sun which makes the plant less resistant to insects and diseases.

Reaction score
Country
Egypt
SUNflowers need full sun a minimum of 8 hours a day. Without it, they will often show symptoms from other causes when the "root" cause is actually lack of full sun which provides a vigorous insect and disease resistant plant.

Ever notice how the head of the plant follows the sun? They love full sun and need it to thrive. Maybe home remedies will help, maybe not...but I suspect the real cause is lack of sufficient hours of daily full sun which makes the plant less resistant to insects and diseases.
I see. I found out about its sun needs after I planted it. Is it ok if I transfer it between two balconies everyday to increase the sunny hours?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I see. I found out about its sun needs after I planted it. Is it ok if I transfer it between two balconies everyday to increase the sunny hours?
Mark the pot so that the alignment to the sun is always the same no matter the location. Plants are extremely good at noticing changes in their energy source and will become shocked if there is too much change.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have many sunflower plants right now and some have those spots and others don't and they all receive about the same amount of sun. In fact one of my sunflowers have those spots all over, but it's still very healthy, so healthy that the seed-head hasn't shown any sign of drooping, despite having fully matured seeds. That's rare, most sunflower heads droop heavily, but this one is just as erect as when it first bloomed.

I'm not sure what those spots are, but in my experience they don't seem to adversely effect the health of the plant.

Reaction score
Country
Egypt
I have many sunflower plants right now and some have those spots and others don't and they all receive about the same amount of sun. In fact one of my sunflowers have those spots all over, but it's still very healthy, so healthy that the seed-head hasn't shown any sign of drooping, despite having fully matured seeds. That's rare, most sunflower heads droop heavily, but this one is just as erect as when it first bloomed.

I'm not sure what those spots are, but in my experience they don't seem to adversely effect the health of the plant.
Thanks a lot. Glad they didn’t cause harm for your plants.

Reaction score
Country
Egypt
Mark the pot so that the alignment to the sun is always the same no matter the location. Plants are extremely good at noticing changes in their energy source and will become shocked if there is too much change.
Thanks for the information. I’ll be attentive to the alignment

Ask a Question