Help!!! Where would you start?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So...our garden is an absolute disaster! I’ve never had a garden before and I have absolutely no idea where to start!
I tried getting help from 2 gardeners, one let me down and the other just said ‘jesus ’ and never got back in touch. Decided to tackle it myself but feeling very lost and overwhelmed. Should probably mention that I also have a 11 week old baby

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would start on cutting the grass. You have some perennial weed at the bottom of the page , large leaf one is coltsfoot and the one to the right which is grewing quite tall is rosy willowherb .

A lot of the plants in the middle of the lawn look like tree sapling ( need a close pic for ID ) all of them need removing asap .

Looks like you have a peirs to left corner red nice shrubs . If you are not interested in the GH put it on freecycle - facebook market - ebay I am sure somebody will have it.

So cut grass 1st then possibly remove tree sapling .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
What kind of garden? With an 11 week old baby to care for, I suggest starting small. You don't have to turn the entire area into a garden right away. Definitely cut the grass. Meanwhile, plan what the area will eventually look like. Laying down tarp will help kill undesirable grass. Get a tiller or something to turn the soil after you remove the tarp if you're planting veggies. Sod or seed if you're planning flowers, bushes,etc. leaving room for beds. Do a little at a time. Make this a multi year project.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Also, locate water lines and other underground utilities while you're planning. Consider walking paths of stone or gravel. Focal point trees and/or shrubs. A quiet place for chairs, picnic table, etc. Work one area. When pleased, move to another area. Take your time with this project. Start with a master plan.

Ask a Question