Sad looking newly planted rose - please help!

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hey everyone, gardening noob here.
Two weeks ago I planted Renaissance rose 'Caprice' in a garden pot. I followed the instructions and used the soil mix sold with roses. A few days after it was planted, it got pretty hot. The flowers started to look burnt, so I moved it away from the sun. It seemed to help and there were new flowers appearing, but yesterday I noticed it has gotten much worse. In addition to faded flowers there are yellow leaves at the bottom of the plant. The soil is damp and it's neither in the scorching sun, nor in the solid shadow.
What could be causing it? I would really appreciate your advice.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20190610_143606.jpg
    IMG_20190610_143606.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_20190610_143553.jpg
    IMG_20190610_143553.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_20190610_143615.jpg
    IMG_20190610_143615.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 264
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
When roses are in pots they need a lot of water and in turn that washes out nutrients. The rose should be fed regularly through the growing season to counteract the problem. As Mrsclem has said it could also be a touch of transplant shock but I suspect you may have caught the leaves when watering. Tap water will cause them to burn in the sun so the rose must be watered at the base. Don't forget to take the dead flower heads off this will help the plant to produce more.

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
When roses are in pots they need a lot of water and in turn that washes out nutrients. The rose should be fed regularly through the growing season to counteract the problem. As Mrsclem has said it could also be a touch of transplant shock but I suspect you may have caught the leaves when watering. Tap water will cause them to burn in the sun so the rose must be watered at the base. Don't forget to take the dead flower heads off this will help the plant to produce more.
Thank you so much for the tips! Would it be better to transplant it into a different spot and not in the pot? Or would it be too stressful for the plant? What kind of nutrients should I use? And would it be better to keep it in the shadow or would a few hours of direct sunlight per day be fine?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I would not attempt to move it again. It should recover. I moved a rugosa bush that was in the ground an d in full bloom to a planter box. Cut it down by half and gave it a small amount of granular fertilizer. It wilted and got a few yellow leaves but has made a full recovery and has already started reblooming. As Sheal said, water but don't wet the leaves. A few hours of sun is fine. Mine is in full sun all afternoon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to disagree Mrsclem. The rose has only been in the pot two weeks, in that time it's roots won't have settled properly, so yes Svetoliy I would move it. Large roses are happier in the ground and prefer a minimum of six hours sun a day if possible, but they will be happy with less. During early Spring they are best mulched with well rotted horse manure if that can be obtained, but I use chicken manure pellets which are more convenient. I then feed again with a blood, fish and bone fertiliser in early May and then late July. From that time on roses should be left to settle without feeding so they can gradually close down for there dormant period over winter. Roses are best planted or moved during their dormant period.

If you decide to plant in the ground mix some fertiliser with the soil that you will use for filling the hole around the rose. Don't drop it into the planting hole as it may burn the roots. As we're coming into summer I suggest you water regularly while the rose establishes it's roots unless it rains of course.

Ask a Question