New tree - looking sad!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
Hi all, had a new (small) garden designed and an established tree planted. The garden was done just before Christmas. In the last few days, said tree, is looking very sad and unhealthy. Any tips to try to save the tree much appreciated. The garden is south facing, and the tree in a windy spot. As we have had an adequate amount of rain I didn't think it was lack of water however have watered extra the last
IMG_0014.JPG
four days. Could anyone tell me the name of it too. Sorry - very new to gardening and to this site! The photos are 2 of when first planted and the other (obviously) now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It looks to me that the tree was planted improperly. It looks like it was just put on top of the existing soil and then soil poured in around it. If that is the case the tree is starving for water. If they dug a hole, put the tree into it and then filled in soil to its new level, the tree is planted way too deep. Whenever a tree is planted its root flare must be visible.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the reply! This makes sense. In your opinion can I rescue this tree? If so, what is the best way to do this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for the reply! This makes sense. In your opinion can I rescue this tree? If so, what is the best way to do this?
First you will have to find out how the tree was planted. If it was planted in the ground what you have to do is dig away all of the soil down to the root flare and then make some kind of barrier (maybe rocks?) outside of the diameter of the flare to keep the soil off of the root flare. If the tree was planted on top of the ground and then soil was filled in around the tree the first thing to do is to remove the soil until the root flare is exposed (if it isn't already). You said it was an established tree. Did it come bare rooted or in a container. It may have been established from where it was removed from but a tree must re-establish itself in its new home. The secret is watering. If it was planted into the ground that means the roots are about 1-2 feet deep. Did you water enough to keep these roots damp. If the tree was planted on top of the soil or even slightly deeper did you water enough to wet the root ball. Most containerized plants of that size will have a compacted root system and water penetration into the interior roots is difficult. To make a long story short remove the soil until you can see the root flare and when you water, water very slowly and very very deeply. A stead drip of 3 or 4 hours might be sufficient.

Ask a Question